Nico Bezuidenhout returning to Mango?

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

richard C
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 109 times

Re: Nico Bezuidenhout returning to Mango?

Unread post by richard C » Fri May 10, 2019 11:43 am

738 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:14 pm
MadMacs wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:40 am
738 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:59 pm

You left SAA before the 738 arrived?
Did you retire then?
I suggest you do not go and visit your old maintenance facility , you will be extremely disappointed.
I left due to health issues. In what way will I be disappointed?
You are quite opinionated and forcible so for someone that left the industry 20 years ago.
I can’t be bothered.
Have a nice day
To be fair to Madmacs - he did apologize for his abruptness. This is an interetsing and informative thread, please keep the conversation going.
Grant all equity and dignity.
Monzeglio Cook + Gibson Architects
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 69 times

Unread post by Fransw » Fri May 10, 2019 12:34 pm

MadMacs wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:09 pm
738 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:45 pm
MadMacs wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:16 pm

Rubbish to all your comment above. I'm not sure where you fell out of but no matter the age of the aircraft they are as good as new when signed out as airworthy. Maybe you equate a ten year old aircraft to your ten year old clanky car. Also a new aircraft can suffer from teething problems and have more delays than an older aircraft. If you're a pilot, I suggest you visit your maintenance facility to see how aircraft are maintained.
So then i must be the unlucky one, remember its an opinion, an opinion and trend i experienced based on 10 000 hrs of airline flying , %99 of the maintenance delays i had was on the older part of the fleet.

You seem to be experienced in your field, can you remember which aircraft went AOG the most? Older or newer aircraft?
Just remember that there is a fixed schedule of maintenance that the aircraft go through and there is no difference between new or old aircraft, it all depends on hours flown.

I left SAA before the new 737's arrived and I can tell you that those old fluffy's went forever and were very reliable. You'd have to specify what type of maintenance delays you're experiencing and who is doing the maintenance before I can comment.

Take the B747's for instance, they gave us endless problems and in twenty years I rarely encountered a snag free logbook but we sweated blood to get them out on time. The A300's were a dream, they flew all day every day and never had any serious defects.

PS I also realize that i was a bit abrupt with my reply to you above, so I apologize.
Good post! Thanks Madman! :smt023
These users liked the author Fransw for the post:
Cornell Blok
Lazy duck
Tripped over wheel chock
Closest Airfield: Springs
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Lazy duck » Fri May 10, 2019 8:22 pm

Dispatch rate relies on a well oiled machine.
Maintenance issues do contribute.
A A320 utilization should be between 7-9 hours a day in Africa. Bums on seats 65% +. Dispatch rate 98% +
Then we're competing with BA and L H.
SAA did do it no reason why they shouldn't be doing it.
Maintenance is usually as good as the support it is given.
MadMacs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: GRJ
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 34 times

Unread post by MadMacs » Sat May 11, 2019 3:40 am

richard C wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:43 am
738 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:14 pm
MadMacs wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:40 am

I left due to health issues. In what way will I be disappointed?
You are quite opinionated and forcible so for someone that left the industry 20 years ago.
I can’t be bothered.
Have a nice day
To be fair to Madmacs - he did apologize for his abruptness. This is an interetsing and informative thread, please keep the conversation going.
It is an interesting topic and is why I want to hear what problems 738 is experiencing when he says that 99% of the delays are maintenance related. Is SAAT overstretched in having to maintain too many aircraft ie looking after Kalula and Safair as well as their own aircraft, is it spares related or is it incompetence or heaven forbid, a race issue? For instance SAAT handles all the aircraft at George and sometimes Safair and Kalula land within minutes of each other, yet the aircraft depart timeously. Just about all of my mates at SAA have retired recently, so my sources have dried up and info is scarce.
When they use the loaded term "denier" that should be the first clue that we're not dealing with a rational opponent in a debate... but "religious" dogma.
MadMacs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by MadMacs » Sat May 11, 2019 3:48 am

Lazy duck wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:22 pm
A A320 utilization should be between 7-9 hours a day in Africa. Bums on seats 65% +. Dispatch rate 98% +
Interesting that you quote BA and LH, as they were some of the worst performing airlines with on time performance. I often wonder why despatch rates world wide have declined so badly, like you say we used to have an on time despatch rate of 98% +

A quick squizz on Google shows that of the US airlines, Delta is the best at 82% on time. Mango rates 19th in the worlds top 20 for 2019.
When they use the loaded term "denier" that should be the first clue that we're not dealing with a rational opponent in a debate... but "religious" dogma.
Burner
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: LIMB
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 98 times

Unread post by Burner » Sat May 11, 2019 10:40 am

MadMacs wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:48 am
Lazy duck wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:22 pm
Interesting that you quote BA and LH, as they were some of the worst performing airlines with on time performance. I often wonder why despatch rates world wide have declined so badly, like you say we used to have an on time despatch rate of 98% +

A quick squizz on Google shows that of the US airlines, Delta is the best at 82% on time. Mango rates 19th in the worlds top 20 for 2019.
I think dispatch rates are down purely because of the economics of the industry right now. Turn around times are hugely ambitious, and are down to an all time low. Airlines keeping costs down, can't afford to have the spare capacity (i.e. extra aircraft available to cover AOGs etc). Being able at the drop of a hat, provide another aircraft and potentially also crew, isn't cheap I guess.

I think airports are also a lot busier, with a lot more passengers being squeezed into each aircraft. Each passenger presents a potential delay, and potential knock on.
MadMacs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by MadMacs » Sat May 11, 2019 9:09 pm

Going a bit off topic but here is how you win some or lose some

Antman
Circuit re-established
Closest Airfield: FARA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by Antman » Sun May 12, 2019 8:02 am

MadMacs wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:40 am
Is SAAT overstretched in having to maintain too many aircraft ie looking after Kalula and Safair as well as their own aircraft

SAAT do not have anything to do with any of Safair's 737's -400 & -800. All done in house by Safair.
These users liked the author Antman for the post (total 2):
MadMacsPilot Pete
MadMacs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by MadMacs » Sun May 12, 2019 10:02 am

Antman wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:02 am
MadMacs wrote:
Is SAAT overstretched in having to maintain too many aircraft ie looking after Kalula and Safair as well as their own aircraft

SAAT do not have anything to do with any of Safair's 737's -400 & -800. All done in house by Safair.
Thanks for the info. Who does their turnarounds at the line stations?
Antman
Circuit re-established
Closest Airfield: FARA
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by Antman » Sun May 12, 2019 10:18 am

MadMacs wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:02 am
Antman wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:02 am
MadMacs wrote:

Thanks for the info. Who does their turnarounds at the line stations?
In JNB, DUR, CPT & HLA, Safair engineers. In ELS, PLZ, GRJ Safair has approval for the captain to perform an LTX and sign it off.
These users liked the author Antman for the post:
MadMacs
Lazy duck
Tripped over wheel chock

Unread post by Lazy duck » Mon May 13, 2019 8:14 pm

Hi MadMac
When quoting BA and LH on time departure % it was a/c specific. Not fleet . Cheers
These users liked the author Lazy duck for the post:
MadMacs
Gandolf
Mags On
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Gandolf » Mon May 13, 2019 10:24 pm

Wow, I thought this post was about Nico's return to Mango
Lazy duck
Tripped over wheel chock

Unread post by Lazy duck » Tue May 14, 2019 12:25 am

Sorry bit of a drift. The thought is if Nico returns on time departure is a must. Maintenance and good aircraft go hand in hand. Global has supplied a good lease.
BONNIE MAD
1k poster
1k poster
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by BONNIE MAD » Fri May 24, 2019 10:43 am

Why would he return, when he was never good enough, in the eyes of the politicians, in the first place.Id show them the middle finger!
MEN WERE MEANT TO RIDE WITH CLOUDS BETWEEN THEIR KNEES
GL
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 87 times

Unread post by GL » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:31 am

Nico should have been appointed as CEO of SAA - and Mango.
South African Airways Board supports Mango CEO Appointment
Johannesburg, 2 July 2019. The Board of South African Airways supports the appointment made by the Board of Mango Airlines SOC of Mr Nico Bezuidenhout as Chief Executive Officer effective 1 October 2019.
This latest appointment of a permanent CEO at Mango, a subsidiary low-cost airline wholly owned by South African Airways, is a further step in stabilising leadership and strengthening the executive capacity of the Group.
“We are pleased to welcome Nico Bezuidenhout back into the SAA Group. His appointment will advance the implementation of the turnaround strategy of SAA Group,” said SAA Board Chairman JB Magwaza.
Our body is made to move, and our mind is made to connect with other people.
– Sjur Nesheim, Norwegian mountaineer

The essentials to happiness:
• someone to love,
• something to do,
• something to hope for

Guy Leitch

Return to “Airline Chatter”