Moderator: Moderators

Flymachine
Engine Started
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Beechcraft B1900 Rating direct from Single Engine piston

Unread post by Flymachine » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:36 pm

Haven't read most of the posts...but as a B1900 Captain and a flight instructor I can only honestly say there is good reason behind the requirements.

I was lucky enough to land my first B1900 position as a direct entry captain, at that stage I already had 850hrs PIC on Twin Turbine (Much of it single crew on B200's and 90's) and the aircraft still humbled me in certain stressful situations.

I've had F/O's with 500hrs TT that where SIM partners at affiliated training organizations and my GOSH they where so far behind the real deal that I was flying single crew most of the time.

Take it from me...learn to fly a basic twin before jumping onto a basic twin turbine (like the 1900). I know it cost more, but I can seriously only say you will be way behind this machine with only a single piston rating and will have a captain flying single crew and frustrated most of the time (not from you, but due to lack of assistance).

This is only my input, you are very welcome to take it or leave it. I've been there, flown with Twin Piston pilot's newly rated on the 1900 and even they get left behind after departure.

Most 1900's also operate in serious Sh#t holes up in West and Central Africa. The Viz is Kak, the Weather is Kak, the heat and environment are Kak...it's a highly pressured situation and the last thing I ever wanted was an F/O who was so far behind the drag curve I stopped actually asking them for assistance with certain items during times of peak work load besides flaps, gear lever and a check list that they fumbled with.

Once again, this is only my opinion. Learn to fly a twin first...then struggle to learn a basic EFIS panel, turbine management, weight management, speed management, cabin pressure, descent calculations and the various other items that come with twin turbine machines.

I can tell you now that if I ever became incapacitated (touch wood) with these novice crew members...I don't think things would have worked out well on certain days. It's certainly not a Jet...but it's vastly different to a piston machine, more especially a single piston machine.

If you do find a flight school willing to exempt you from having an initial twin piston rating...please advise me...it may sound harsh, but I don't enjoy having a glorified passenger in my right hand seat, I'd rather be single crew in this case.

My experienced F/O's enjoy flying with me by the way :lol: ...I'm humble and as an instructor I'm there to teach and enjoy doing so, but only if I actually have time to do this in a cockpit. We where all there and this is something I do understand.
Last edited by Flymachine on Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 7 times in total.
These users liked the author Flymachine for the post:
abezzi
My Favourite Thing About People Is Their Dogs.

- SACAA ATPL Fixed Wing (2900 TT)
- Twin Turbine (1300 PIC, 650 on Medium Cat A/C)
- Instructor II
Flymachine
Engine Started
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Flymachine » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:38 pm

Cornell Blok wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:06 pm
I found flying the King Air F90 easier than the Twin Comanche to fly 8-[
But you had flown twin piston. F90... one of the best machines I've flown!!! We called her the "Hot Rod".😀
My Favourite Thing About People Is Their Dogs.

- SACAA ATPL Fixed Wing (2900 TT)
- Twin Turbine (1300 PIC, 650 on Medium Cat A/C)
- Instructor II
southside
Steep Turn Left
Closest Airfield: around
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Unread post by southside » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:18 pm

It just sounds like a bad idea. I had a chat with an Express captain a while ago on the Dash 8, 10000 + hours experience. Fresh comm in the right seat...when things go according to plan, it's fine. As soon as a curve ball is thrown, he said it was single crew. He was not even referring to emergency situations. Hence I agree with Flymachine. Dont take short cuts, and ATO's should not allow it.
MHO
IKTAV
Ooops forgot to turn the fuel back on!
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 46 times

Unread post by IKTAV » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:22 pm

Caruiters and Wannabe, I have to agree with all the naysayers here. There’s a reason we all learn to walk before we can run.
In our business short cuts often end VERY badly. The insurance companies know this. And like it or not, those guys rule the roost. There is NO SUBSTITUTE FOR GOOD TRAINING and EXPERIENCE.
Somebody mentioned the Beechcraft Duchess. This is probably the best initial twin trainer I’ve ever given instruction on. Better than the temperamental TwinCo and a lot cheaper than the Baron.
Flight Training College in George has a Beechcraft Duchess and an excellent Simuflight Seneca III simulator.
Initial twin conversions begin with at least 5 hours on the simulator before you’ll get to fly the aircraft. This is so the emergencies can be covered in some detail with no risk to life or limb. It’s in the simulator that you will learn why, in the wrong hands, a twin can become a deadly beast. Only once you’re competent and comfortable with these procedures will you get to fly the aircraft.
After the initial twin conversion and some experience you will be in a better position to handle a 1900 conversion. The 1900 is a BIG step up. It’s one of the gateway conversions to the big league. It sets the tone for more complex conversions that will come later. But everything starts with a good foundation in the basics of multi-engine flight.
If you’re still interested:
ftc@flighttraining.co.za
044-8769055 Speak to Alistair or Juanine.
Pilotwerrie
Preflighting
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Pilotwerrie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:23 am

Out of an insurance perspective ...

I'll just scroll right past this ... :wink:
Werner Kruger
Aviation Insurance Broker
DJA - Aviation
083 728 0172
Werner@dja-aviation.co.za
AlexTodd
Engine Started
Closest Airfield: FAPA

Unread post by AlexTodd » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:12 am

61.09.3 (1) Initial training is required in order for the relevant class or type rating to be endorsed in the licence and consists of theoretical knowledge instruction, a theoretical knowledge examination, flight training and a skills test as prescribed in Document SA-CATS 61.

(2) The prerequisites for initial type and class rating training are as follows—

(a)

Type rating—

(i)

at least a CPL or no less than 350 hours as pilot-in-command of aeroplanes for the aeroplane type rating;

(ii)

at least a CPL or no less than 200 hours as pilot-in-command of helicopters for the helicopter type rating;

(iii)

a valid instrument rating in the case of aeroplanes;

(iv)

a multi-engine class rating in the case of multi-engine aeroplanes;

(v)

multi-pilot operation training and certificate in the case of multi-pilot aircraft. The multi pilot operations training is only required for the first multi-pilot aircraft rating.
George Tower
Wanna Fly

Unread post by George Tower » Mon May 13, 2019 11:18 pm

Interesting quote from the Regs in the previous post.

I know a couple of fresh SA CPLs who have got a B737 type rating through PTC and they definitely didn't have 350hrs PIC at the time. So what gives?
AlexTodd
Engine Started
Closest Airfield: FAPA

Unread post by AlexTodd » Tue May 14, 2019 3:10 pm

George Tower wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:18 pm
Interesting quote from the Regs in the previous post.

I know a couple of fresh SA CPLs who have got a B737 type rating through PTC and they definitely didn't have 350hrs PIC at the time. So what gives?
Read the quote again. The law says "at least a CPL or no less than 350 hours as pilot-in-command of aeroplanes for the aeroplane type rating;"
Tony Forrester
Avionics Master On
Closest Airfield: Fabb
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Tony Forrester » Fri May 24, 2019 11:09 am

Hurry up and make a decision.... you're a pilot now.... DO IT!!!. And when you have jumped high enough, skipped a step here or there.... you can be a FO. Then you can join one of the airlines that will soon be re-introducing the grounded aircraft in their fleets. Post some photos, at least then we will know who managed to kill all their pax, in one moment of frozen indecision. :(
aTrolley
Priming
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by aTrolley » Fri May 24, 2019 12:04 pm

From a 350hr non rated pilot, do the hard yards. My life, marriage, and family is on the line. If you get a job on a 1900 with no scuttle work let us know. Wash a plane, refuel, land in abandoned airfields, know your limits, test them, make a decision that goes with life or death.
Take offs are optional :)
Landings are mandatory :twisted:

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”