Boeing 757 for FACT FAOR route?

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

Millibar
Pre-take off checks
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:04 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Cape Town
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Boeing 757 for FACT FAOR route?

Unread post by Millibar » Fri May 03, 2019 7:39 am

Why was the 757 never used on this route? It seems to make sense considering SAA used the bigger (than a 737) Airbus A300/310's and this is a very high capacity route?

What were the reasons / economics that kept the B757 out?
gregdeklerk
Take off Clearance
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:59 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Cape Town
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0

Re: Boeing 757 for FACT FAOR route?

Unread post by gregdeklerk » Fri May 03, 2019 9:59 am

I am guessing here till the experts answer, but a 757 is still a narrow body arcraft. Since it is a high capacity route as you say, SAA have a lot of wide bodies on this roue.

Do you not mean the 767? SAA had 3, but they didn't work out. Cant remember the reason.
Millibar
Pre-take off checks
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:04 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Cape Town
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Boeing 757 for FACT FAOR route?

Unread post by Millibar » Fri May 03, 2019 12:43 pm

Hi Greg,

I have it that the 757 is a 'longer' 737, although correctly as you mentioned still a narrow body.

It seems that the 757 would have been a good fit to this route before the larger 737's came to market especially considering the distances and passenger demand?
Trent772B
Pre-take off checks
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:27 pm
Closest Airfield: HONG KONG
Location: Cape Town
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Boeing 757 for FACT FAOR route?

Unread post by Trent772B » Fri May 03, 2019 3:45 pm

Probably because SAA had already started taking delivery of the A300 and it therefore made no sense to acquire the 757.
These users liked the author Trent772B for the post:
Ray W
B727, B747, A320, A330, A340, Alo3, Oryx, King Air, Beech 1900, T6
User avatar
GL
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Posts: 9037
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:08 am
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Lost for words
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 50 times

Re: Boeing 757 for FACT FAOR route?

Unread post by GL » Fri May 03, 2019 8:29 pm

Another partial reason is that in terms of the S Curve theory, its better to have a high frequency of flights (using small planes) than a few flights using larger gauge a/c.
Uncommon wisdom:
The grand essentials to happiness in this life are:
• someone to love,
• something to do,
• and something to hope for

Guy Leitch
User avatar
YoungPilot
Hee Hee I'm Flying
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:09 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: Johannesburg
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Boeing 757 for FACT FAOR route?

Unread post by YoungPilot » Fri May 17, 2019 1:09 pm

True, but SAA uses the A319 up to the A340 on this route from time to time. Would it not benefit the company to regulate the amount of flights more efficiently so that these can be kept to a smaller variety of aircraft? It amazed me that SAA never got A321s... for me, if you want fleet commonality then get the A321 for the routes that require more than the A320 but less than the A330... Am I alone in this thought process? Comparing the B752 and A321, they have very similar capacities too...
If you are depressed, you are living in the past.
If you are anxious, you are living in the future.
If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

- Lao Tzu
evanb
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1794
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:58 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: Boeing 757 for FACT FAOR route?

Unread post by evanb » Fri May 17, 2019 2:11 pm

YoungPilot wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:09 pm
True, but SAA uses the A319 up to the A340 on this route from time to time. Would it not benefit the company to regulate the amount of flights more efficiently so that these can be kept to a smaller variety of aircraft? It amazed me that SAA never got A321s... for me, if you want fleet commonality then get the A321 for the routes that require more than the A320 but less than the A330... Am I alone in this thought process? Comparing the B752 and A321, they have very similar capacities too...
The A321ceo is a poor performer at high altitude airfields due to the undersized wing. At JNB it loses between 10 and 15t of payload which is massive for a narrowbody.

The B752 is significantly bigger than the A321, but also has a much bigger wing and thrust, thus it lifts substantially more, but is a much heavier frame too.

The A330/A340 is run at specific times of day, mostly to link to international connections where frequency isn't as useful, but also where A319/A320 cannot carry the cargo for those connections since it's too small for the A330/A340 cargo containers.
User avatar
MadMacs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2288
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:41 pm
Closest Airfield: GRJ
Location: On my bed
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: Boeing 757 for FACT FAOR route?

Unread post by MadMacs » Fri May 17, 2019 5:39 pm

Trent772B wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:45 pm
Probably because SAA had already started taking delivery of the A300 and it therefore made no sense to acquire the 757.
The A300's arrived five years before the 757 was built.
The closest I get to flying these days is when I put my cellphone in 'flight mode'.
Trent772B
Pre-take off checks
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:27 pm
Closest Airfield: HONG KONG
Location: Cape Town
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Boeing 757 for FACT FAOR route?

Unread post by Trent772B » Fri May 17, 2019 6:29 pm

MadMacs wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:39 pm
Trent772B wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:45 pm
Probably because SAA had already started taking delivery of the A300 and it therefore made no sense to acquire the 757.
The A300's arrived five years before the 757 was built.
First A300 (SDB) arrived in 1976. The last (SDI) arrived in 1987.
B727, B747, A320, A330, A340, Alo3, Oryx, King Air, Beech 1900, T6
User avatar
MadMacs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2288
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:41 pm
Closest Airfield: GRJ
Location: On my bed
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: Boeing 757 for FACT FAOR route?

Unread post by MadMacs » Sat May 18, 2019 12:23 am

ZS-SDA Airbus A300B2K-3C 15 Nov 1976 Blesbok
ZS-SDB Airbus A300B2K-3C 22 Dec 1976 Gemsbok
ZS-SDC Airbus A300B2K-3C 22 Jan 1977 Waterbok
ZS-SDD Airbus A300B2K-3C 15 Feb 1977 Rooibok
The closest I get to flying these days is when I put my cellphone in 'flight mode'.
Trent772B
Pre-take off checks
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:27 pm
Closest Airfield: HONG KONG
Location: Cape Town
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Boeing 757 for FACT FAOR route?

Unread post by Trent772B » Sat May 18, 2019 8:23 am

MadMacs wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 12:23 am
ZS-SDA Airbus A300B2K-3C 15 Nov 1976 Blesbok
ZS-SDB Airbus A300B2K-3C 22 Dec 1976 Gemsbok
ZS-SDC Airbus A300B2K-3C 22 Jan 1977 Waterbok
ZS-SDD Airbus A300B2K-3C 15 Feb 1977 Rooibok
Perhaps I’m relying to much on google.

https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Sou ... y-a300.htm
B727, B747, A320, A330, A340, Alo3, Oryx, King Air, Beech 1900, T6
User avatar
Ray W
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 16267
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:17 pm
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo
Location: Atlasville.
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: Boeing 757 for FACT FAOR route?

Unread post by Ray W » Sat May 18, 2019 9:51 am

Here's a list of the A300's with their histories
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users liked the author Ray W for the post:
MadMacs
Old age & treachery will triumph over youth & skill
User avatar
MadMacs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2288
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:41 pm
Closest Airfield: GRJ
Location: On my bed
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: Boeing 757 for FACT FAOR route?

Unread post by MadMacs » Sat May 18, 2019 12:27 pm

Trent772B wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:23 am
MadMacs wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 12:23 am
ZS-SDA Airbus A300B2K-3C 15 Nov 1976 Blesbok
ZS-SDB Airbus A300B2K-3C 22 Dec 1976 Gemsbok
ZS-SDC Airbus A300B2K-3C 22 Jan 1977 Waterbok
ZS-SDD Airbus A300B2K-3C 15 Feb 1977 Rooibok
Perhaps I’m relying to much on google.

https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Sou ... y-a300.htm
No problem, I just posted the ones pre 81 with their names :D .
The closest I get to flying these days is when I put my cellphone in 'flight mode'.
Gandolf
Mags On
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:47 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Boeing 757 for FACT FAOR route?

Unread post by Gandolf » Sat May 18, 2019 6:33 pm

There was always the rumour that SAA bought the A300 to secure Mirage support and spares for the SAAF.
ERASER
Power off Glide
Posts: 315
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:22 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Boeing 757 for FACT FAOR route?

Unread post by ERASER » Mon May 20, 2019 8:12 am

Ray W wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:51 am
Here's a list of the A300's with their histories
Just a correction on the list Ray, ZS-SDG was a A300C4-203. The only A300 in the SAA fleet that arrived new with a cargo door already installed. SAA used it in the later stages as a freighter.

Rgds

Return to “Airline Chatter”