Comair/Kululu flights suspended by CAA - now flying again

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 1904 times
Been liked: 2551 times

Re: Comair/Kululu flights suspended by CAA

Unread post by jimdavis » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:31 pm

whiskeyflyer1 wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:34 pm
Basically no customer care. It is not the Comair of old, which was known for taking care of their staff and treated all like family. The bean counters have taken over.
CEO is ultimately responsible, so despite his pleas and comments, the baord should let him go, with no golden parachute. He failed his KPIs. The fish rots from the head.
Quite right, Whiskey, but it seems like a hell of a long time since Comair was the company of choice to work for - if ever!

Simple business formula - unhappy staff = unhappy customers.

jim
AND LOTS OF LOVELY FLYING BOOKS at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
Silke Schroedter
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: FWCL
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Silke Schroedter » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:41 pm

I would like to know what exactly the findings were and if they justify grounding Kulula on this busy weekend.
MLyons
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FASH
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 68 times

Unread post by MLyons » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:14 pm

cvzyl wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:16 am

Another interesting thing during boarding when the cockpit door was open, I was amazed to see the captain sporting a baseball cap, he looked more like a bush pilot than an airline captain, not really an image of professionalism…
Be assured that anyone captaining an airliner who has plenty hours of "bush pilot" experience is very likely to be way more competent at "flying" the aircraft than a person who went from cadet to captain in one of those "accelerated" pilot training programs.

Pilots who have a good and varied career encompassing a good dollop of bush piloting and also gliding tend to be just that little bit more in tune with aircraft.
Moderators Message:
Please: No more talk of the baseball cap. Other related comments have been deleted.
These users liked the author MLyons for the post (total 2):
skydancerScrapyard Dog
You toucha my stuff, I breaka you face.
Idiot in search of a village........never mind - found it!
scubaflyer
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Virginia
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Unread post by scubaflyer » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:05 pm

https://www.moneyweb.co.za/mymoney/mone ... -unpacked/

Not the complete story, but gives a little bit more insight into the grounding.....
skydancer
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FABB
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by skydancer » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:25 pm

scubaflyer wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:05 pm

Not the complete story, but gives a little bit more insight into the grounding.....
Unfortunately this is just a repeat of what we already know..Still doesnt give travellers alot to go on.And taking myself as an example,now i have to cough up money for plane tickets which have already been purchased...I dont see why Comair cannot give travellers the option refund their money back.Seeing as there is no clear indication as to when or if they ever will take to the skies again anytime soon.And my wife and I were scheduled to fly Kulula in 3 weeks time.Yes still got some time.But what about travellers that need to return home and now stuck...
cx45338
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Rand Airport
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by cx45338 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:37 pm

skydancer wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:25 pm
scubaflyer wrote:

Unfortunately this is just a repeat of what we already know..Still doesnt give travellers alot to go on.And taking myself as an example,now i have to cough up money for plane tickets which have already been purchased...I dont see why Comair cannot give travellers the option refund their money back.Seeing as there is no clear indication as to when or if they ever will take to the skies again anytime soon.And my wife and I were scheduled to fly Kulula in 3 weeks time.Yes still got some time.But what about travellers that need to return home and now stuck...
If you’ve paid with your credit card, you should be able to stop payment as the service that you’ve paid for, did not materialize.

The Vendor will just be debited.
Life is so tough, I've yet to come accross anybody who has come out alive on the other side.
flypiper
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 87 times

Unread post by flypiper » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:44 pm

Hi all,

I dont know why i get the feeling that this grounding is political driven.

Regards.
These users liked the author flypiper for the post (total 9):
skydancerEDPVolohjsMouserdollarJohan SwakopmundjimdavisJimbo
Flying!!!
skydancer
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FABB
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by skydancer » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:55 am

cx45338 wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:37 pm
skydancer wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:25 pm
scubaflyer wrote:

If you’ve paid with your credit card, you should be able to stop payment as the service that you’ve paid for, did not materialize.

The Vendor will just be debited.
Unfortunately it was paid with a debit card back in December already,all part other services and accommodation paid for already for our holiday.
dollar
Power off Glide
Has liked: 405 times
Been liked: 98 times

Unread post by dollar » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:45 am

flypiper wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:44 pm
Hi all,

I dont know why i get the feeling that this grounding is political driven.

Regards.
I most certainly share your suspicion. This sudden “efficiency” is out of character. I’m thinking that there’s more to this story than is being aired in the public domain.

That’s not to assert that the airline is an innocent bystander- there may well be issues.
These users liked the author dollar for the post (total 2):
apollo11jimdavis
Volo
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 504 times
Been liked: 764 times

Unread post by Volo » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:10 am

I have read the interview Moneyweb had with the senior legal from the CAA and have never read so much utter rubbish in all my life . The CAA grounds an entire airline that could spell their collapse on a general understanding that they did not comply with their own SMS (Safety Management system ) that in terms of part 140 of the Civil Aviation regulations they were obliged to construct themselves .
They cant even bring themselves ( the CAA) to site a non compliance in terms of the maintenance of engines that failed on two of Kuluas /comair /BA flights to prove their case .
This is stupid beyond words and its because they are judge and jury in this matter with no checks or balances to their excess in these matters .
These users liked the author Volo for the post (total 5):
EDPdollarjimdavisJimboSelfloader
bromster
Drinking Cooldrink at clubhouse
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by bromster » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:39 pm

All I know if that I was supposed to fly today to visit my mum for her birthday. :evil:
southside
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: around
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 559 times

Unread post by southside » Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:40 pm

I don’t know how to post a link here, but if you Google Kulula near miss with DC3 you will find an article of a TCAS event at Lanseria. Perhaps someone can upload the link.

I wonder if this is a contributing factor to CAA grounding them.

I am also very curious to know if this grounding is genuinely warranted, or if CAA are being their usual incompetent selves.
Deanw
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 519 times

Unread post by Deanw » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:10 pm

How come every time my ship comes in I'm at the airport?

http://www.SAairforce.co.za
Mrb13676
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 726 times
Been liked: 453 times

Unread post by Mrb13676 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:58 pm

Reading the article about the 'near miss' it sounds like a normal day at Lanseria?

If it was CAVOK and the Kulula 73 had the DC-3 visual and obviously getting out of the way do they need to respond to the RA? (Genuinely asking - never flown with TCAS)
Mike Blackburn
ZU-IBM - Sling4 Turbo s/n 009 “Miss Daisy”
Only
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 60 times

Unread post by Only » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:47 pm

Mrb13676 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:58 pm
Reading the article about the 'near miss' it sounds like a normal day at Lanseria?

If it was CAVOK and the Kulula 73 had the DC-3 visual and obviously getting out of the way do they need to respond to the RA? (Genuinely asking - never flown with TCAS)
I was taught to follow the TCAS instructions because you will never be 100% sure if the aircraft you see is the conflicting traffic.
These users liked the author Only for the post:
Mrb13676

Return to “Airline Chatter”