Comair/Kululu flights suspended by CAA - now flying again

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

Trent772B
Flying to unmanned aerodrome
Closest Airfield: Cape Town
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 253 times

Re: Comair/Kululu flights suspended by CAA - now flying again

Unread post by Trent772B » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:21 pm

What is Comair’s average fleet age against an international benchmark. Let’s say JetBlue, Easy Jet and Ryan Air?

Are we not seeing the lack of investment coming home to roost?

I’m happy to be wrong.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B722, B744, A320, A332, A333, A342, A343, A346, A359, Alo3, Oryx, King Air, Beech 1900, T6
GL
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAHT
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 580 times

Unread post by GL » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:26 am

As long as maintenance is good - is fleet age really a factor?
These users liked the author GL for the post (total 3):
Ray WMadMacsjimdavis
What if humanity is the disease and Covid-19 the cure?
Deanw
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 524 times

Unread post by Deanw » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:50 am

Besides, it was spending too much on new aircraft just before the Max grounding and Covid hit that is one of the causes of Comair having financial difficulties.
How come every time my ship comes in I'm at the airport?

http://www.SAairforce.co.za
Trent772B
Flying to unmanned aerodrome
Closest Airfield: Cape Town
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 253 times

Unread post by Trent772B » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:57 am

GL wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:26 am
If that is the case, why do the worlds most reputable airlines spend a lot of money and effort renewing their fleets? And then market this renewal to customers.
These users liked the author Trent772B for the post:
Gary Lees
B722, B744, A320, A332, A333, A342, A343, A346, A359, Alo3, Oryx, King Air, Beech 1900, T6
GL
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAHT
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 580 times

Unread post by GL » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:05 am

Trent772B wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:57 am
GL wrote:
If that is the case, why do the worlds most reputable airlines spend a lot of money and effort renewing their fleets? And then market this renewal to customers.
Fuel burn - each new generation is 17 - 25% more efficient than the previous: confer 737-400 to - 800 to Max-8.
Plus newer aircraft have lower maintenance and OEM guarantees. The big question is whether the lower fuel burn and lower maintenance offsets the hugely higher capital costs a - and that depends on utlisation - and lease terms (evanb :wink: )
Pax prefer new for newness' sake - its marketing hype - like Boeing's Sky Interiors
These users liked the author GL for the post:
JonathanMarsden
What if humanity is the disease and Covid-19 the cure?
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 1925 times
Been liked: 2575 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:57 pm

GL wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:05 am
Trent772B wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:57 am
GL wrote:
Fuel burn - each new generation is 17 - 25% more efficient than the previous: confer 737-400 to - 800 to Max-8.
Plus newer aircraft have lower maintenance and OEM guarantees. The big question is whether the lower fuel burn and lower maintenance offsets the hugely higher capital costs a - and that depends on utlisation - and lease terms (evanb :wink: )
Pax prefer new for newness' sake - its marketing hype - like Boeing's Sky Interiors
Guyus, I suspect most pax wouldn't know a new airframe from an old one as long as the interior is updated. To be honest I don't notice, or even care, whether I am flying in a Boeing or an Airbus

jim
These users liked the author jimdavis for the post (total 2):
MadMacsJonathanMarsden
AND LOTS OF LOVELY FLYING BOOKS at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
travelmanafrica
Forgot to remove the chocks!
Closest Airfield: Cape Town International
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by travelmanafrica » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:02 pm

I can’t see this ending happily for Comair. They are now saying it will take 20 days just to reply to the backlog of customer issues. I got stuffed around by them last weekend. Never in my life have I experienced such bad customer service. I’d happily pay more to travel on any airline but theirs from now on. Very poor leadership.
Volo
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 518 times
Been liked: 768 times

Unread post by Volo » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:31 pm

travelmanafrica wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:02 pm
I can’t see this ending happily for Comair. They are now saying it will take 20 days just to reply to the backlog of customer issues. I got stuffed around by them last weekend. Never in my life have I experienced such bad customer service. I’d happily pay more to travel on any airline but theirs from now on. Very poor leadership.
Some reports say this grounding cost Comair some R700 million in cash which sounds quite plausable , so it does not surprise me that they struggling to satisfy their customers

This grounding that was uplifted in 5 days tells me that the entire event was malicious for whatever reason for the simple reason that anything they did in 5 days to fix the situation can not have been a reason to ground them .

They cant ground an Airline based on suspicion of wrong doing which as far as i have been able to judge is exactly what they did.

The CAA had to know what damage they would inflict on Comair and this leaves me with the belief that they knew exactly what they were doing .

Consider this - that Comair are pretty powerless to challenge the CAA on this whole saga for obvious reasons.
bucky_za
Engine Still Cranking
Closest Airfield: rand
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by bucky_za » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:55 am

travelmanafrica wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:02 pm
I was also inconvenienced by this, and was booked on an alternate from Vic falls to JHB, arrival time home similar to what was booked.
I had two family members travelling on the same flight but linking to CPT, they also got rebooked home with a much later arrival on the JHB CPT leg, taking into account the loss in domestic capacity this is still understandable.
The Person who helped me from Comair side was very attentive on the WhatsApp communication.
Perhaps better communication on the website on how tickets will be handled is needed.

Quite frankly I will make sure to keep supporting them after this, how can any company be expected to service a massive issue like this all of a sudden on a weekend ?
It is clearly a move designed to damage them, on a few fronts, Including poor and sensationalist reporting from lets say "aligned" news houses.
These users liked the author bucky_za for the post (total 2):
skydancerEDP
Only
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 60 times

Unread post by Only » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:05 am

Interesting development. Apparently SAAT wasn't the bad apple but Lufthansa,

https://www.news24.com/fin24/companies/ ... s-20220321
sparky1608
Rolling
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by sparky1608 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:58 am

How do you pass a full caa audit a month ago and now all of a sudden theres findings #-o
These users liked the author sparky1608 for the post:
Silke Schroedter
Rather be on the ground wishing you were flying, than going flying wishing you were on the ground
dollar
Stall training
Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 99 times

Unread post by dollar » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:00 am

I must be missing something here 😜

The original issue was the fact that two flights had severe engine issues. It’s relatively unusual to have the same airline experience this within a short space of time.

The engine maintenance is subcontracted to Lufthansa Technik? The engines survived the events (they didn’t fall off) and are available for inspection and analysis.

So surely the most logical thing is for the CAA chap to get in his car and take a drive to ORT (or wherever) and inspect the said engines. His next stop would be Lufthansa Tech?

He would ask for the engines pedigree, maintenance records, proof of residence, bank statements, marriage certificate etc. Alles in other words.

Then he would drive back to CAA mission control and busy his team on scrutinizing said documents. This so that they have a clue as to what actually “went wong”. Understand the problem- the two engines first. Then you can look at the peripheral issues that enabled the problem?

My understanding is that they started at the airline first and they are only now moving to asking questions at Lufthansa?
These users liked the author dollar for the post:
bucky_za
W.N.
Incipient Spin
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by W.N. » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:02 pm

Since I have worked in the SMS department of a big MRO this is what I think happened:

Your SMS program should have an SMS manual. That manual will contain SPI's (Safety Performance Indicators) that you monitor. Those SPI's will also be approved by the SACAA together with your SMS manual.

When monitoring SPI's there should be two alert levels set for each SPI, lower and upper. It gets a bit complicated from here but the condensed version is that should a lower alert level be breached it should trigger a sequence of events like a Safety Action Group meeting and an investigation, or whatever you specified in your SMS manual for the breaching of a lower alert level.

When the upper alert level is breached it should trigger a more immediate response like grounding of the aircraft, usually it will involve the CEO in the decision making process.

What I am thinking, having audited the SMS department and being audited by the SACAA, the SACAA did not see the correct actions being taken by Comair when the alert levels were breached. I believe they did not react appropriately to the breaches of the alert levels of the SPI's. Either they did not react appropriately or there SMS system falls short in that department

But that is my humble guess. ICAO Doc 9859 explains SMS nicely. It is not as simple and the SACAA will react strongly to an inadequate SMS program
These users liked the author W.N. for the post (total 2):
heisanMadMacs
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way" -Mark Twain

Ex Africa simper aliquid novi
Volo
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 518 times
Been liked: 768 times

Unread post by Volo » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:20 pm

dollar wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:00 am

The original issue was the fact that two flights had severe engine issues. It’s relatively unusual to have the same airline experience this within a short space of time.

The engine maintenance is subcontracted to Lufthansa Technik? The engines survived the events (they didn’t fall off) and are available for inspection and analysis.

So surely the most logical thing is for the CAA chap to get in his car and take a drive to ORT (or wherever) and inspect the said engines. His next stop would be Lufthansa Tech?

He would ask for the engines pedigree, maintenance records, proof of residence, bank statements, marriage certificate etc. Alles in other words.

Then he would drive back to CAA mission control and busy his team on scrutinizing said documents. This so that they have a clue as to what actually “went wong”. Understand the problem- the two engines first. Then you can look at the peripheral issues that enabled the problem?

My understanding is that they started at the airline first and they are only now moving to asking questions at Lufthansa?

Absolutely - Perfect logic . The fact that the CAA did not do this but went off at a tangent and grounded Comair /Kulula immediately tells me that the CAA have another agenda here .
They confirmed my suspicion today by coming up with a non specific finding about process or procedure against Lufthansa and that they have been given the opportunity to fix in the CAAs seemingly statutory few days . Nothing about an engine that was not adequately maintained .
And guess what SAAT were squeeky clean !!!!!
These users liked the author Volo for the post:
dollar
Airwayfreak
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 557 times

Unread post by Airwayfreak » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:54 pm

Volo wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:20 pm
dollar wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:00 am

Absolutely - Perfect logic . The fact that the CAA did not do this but went off at a tangent and grounded Comair /Kulula immediately tells me that the CAA have another agenda here .
They confirmed my suspicion today by coming up with a non specific finding about process or procedure against Lufthansa and that they have been given the opportunity to fix in the CAAs seemingly statutory few days . Nothing about an engine that was not adequately maintained .
And guess what SAAT were squeeky clean !!!!!
My take is that oversight entities such as the SACAA do not deep dive and micro-manage every single detail as Dollar has implied. Their task is to ensure that AoC holders have all the Procedures and Policies in place to ensure that micro-management of every detail takes place by the AoC holder. SACAA audits are really just blanket checks to determine if such processes are in place. I may be wrong but that is my understanding
Last edited by Airwayfreak on Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users liked the author Airwayfreak for the post:
dollar
Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the "m" is silent

Return to “Airline Chatter”