Light Plane Crash Miami

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

JacoBrits
Mags Dead Cut
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Light Plane Crash Miami

Unread post by JacoBrits » Sat May 14, 2022 8:38 pm

Just spotted this,
These users liked the author JacoBrits for the post:
Kevern Brown
Bearcat
thirty thousand
thirty thousand
Closest Airfield: Grand Central
Has liked: 666 times
Been liked: 3382 times

Re: Light Plane Crash Miami

Unread post by Bearcat » Sat May 14, 2022 9:14 pm

Update...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... Miami.html

They say 25 fire engines responded... must have been after the fire was mostly (all) out as they are not evident in the first video
Raffles
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: DFFD
Has liked: 643 times
Been liked: 247 times

Unread post by Raffles » Sun May 15, 2022 7:30 pm

1 person died
Kathryns_Report
Ralph M Wigzell.
My Dave Clarks cost me R200 when 1 ZAR = 1 USD
Hindsight is what you see from the tailgunner position.
Walter105
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 255 times

Unread post by Walter105 » Mon May 16, 2022 12:36 pm

Sad. Don't know what the situation and decision making was but I wonder if the channel/river under the bridge would not have been a better option to ditch into than try land on the bridge between traffic.
These users liked the author Walter105 for the post:
Raffles
The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your arm.
spatz
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Plaistows + Bovingdon
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 93 times

Unread post by spatz » Mon May 16, 2022 5:51 pm

Walter105 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:36 pm
Sad. Don't know what the situation and decision making was but I wonder if the channel/river under the bridge would not have been a better option to ditch into than try land on the bridge between traffic.
Personally i think its pure selfishness to land on a road with any traffic in the event of an emergency , you are giving the road users no warning and they will definitely not be prepared, same with emergency beach and waterfront landings , unless you can absolutely guarantee that you will not hit a bystander then chose an option that does, I feel for the lady and the toddlers in that car and its a testament to the strength and crash testing that they survived.
Keven
These users liked the author spatz for the post (total 5):
jimdavisNunoCarreiraDutch1InsaneFHV
Keven Gaffney
Never let an aircraft take you somewhere your brain didn't get to five minutes earlier.
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 1919 times
Been liked: 2565 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Mon May 16, 2022 6:55 pm

spatz wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 5:51 pm
Walter105 wrote:
Personally i think its pure selfishness to land on a road with any traffic in the event of an emergency , you are giving the road users no warning and they will definitely not be prepared, same with emergency beach and waterfront landings , unless you can absolutely guarantee that you will not hit a bystander then chose an option that does, I feel for the lady and the toddlers in that car and its a testament to the strength and crash testing that they survived.
Keven
I am with you 100% Keven. You don't make decisions about other people's lives in order to save your own neck.

jim
These users liked the author jimdavis for the post:
Skinny
AND LOTS OF LOVELY FLYING BOOKS at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
Zulu01
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: KGSO
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by Zulu01 » Mon May 16, 2022 10:53 pm

Bearcat wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 9:14 pm
Update...
…….

They say 25 fire engines responded... must have been after the fire was mostly (all) out as they are not evident in the first video
“ 25 Fire rescue …. “. Does not mean Fire engines in USA.
Ambulance , fire chiefs, volunteer Firefighters, Fire video crew you name it. Unique types of callouts attract many to the scene. Also a mention of a plane crash , might have resulted in more than one fire company being called out, maybe 3 engines plus hangers on. Plus numerous police and county sheriffs…. I sometimes wonder if free donuts are given out when done, because so many turn up. :D :D
Rick Cockcroft
Former GPL and instructor
PPL
RC Novice
TikkaT3
Airborne from Unmanned field
Closest Airfield: Potchefstroom
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by TikkaT3 » Tue May 17, 2022 3:14 pm

jimdavis wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 6:55 pm
spatz wrote:
Walter105 wrote:
Keven
I am with you 100% Keven. You don't make decisions about other people's lives in order to save your own neck.

jim
That's a harsh statement. He didn't save is neck. He burned to death. His pax burned.

The Haulover Inlet is quite possibly the roughest inlet on earth, with insane currents. Perhaps do a quick YouTube search and you'll see droves of boats capsizing. Ditching there could have led to 3x drowned individuals, maybe not.

[url][url]
Cessna 182
nomie
HASSELL checks
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by nomie » Wed May 18, 2022 7:43 am

A lot of head scratching going on on the various aviation forums from the fact that there was not one but four golf courses lined up in a row in front of him, but he chose to rather do a 180 degree turn back to the bridge. A lot to be learned about the human factor here.
These users liked the author nomie for the post (total 2):
RafflesInsane
spatz
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by spatz » Wed May 18, 2022 10:40 am

TikkaT3 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 3:14 pm
jimdavis wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 6:55 pm
spatz wrote:

Keven

jim
That's a harsh statement. He didn't save is neck. He burned to death. His pax burned.

The Haulover Inlet is quite possibly the roughest inlet on earth, with insane currents. Perhaps do a quick YouTube search and you'll see droves of boats capsizing. Ditching there could have led to 3x drowned individuals, maybe not.

[url][url]
It was their choice to be in the aircraft , there are reports he continued circling lower and lower until he had no option when the engine quit , the lady on the bridge she was just going about her business now has to deal with this , so not harsh at all , airmanship is making the right choices , if you cant glide clear then dont go. if you going to fly over water or have water as your get out in the event of an emergency! can i suggest you wear a life jacket.
Ps if you look at the drone footage the shore line was calm as a mill pond so the rough water scenario was not a factor.
Keven Gaffney
Never let an aircraft take you somewhere your brain didn't get to five minutes earlier.
Frequent AvComer
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 77 times

Unread post by 117 » Wed May 18, 2022 10:50 am

Haulover is always rough, regardless of what the water is doing on the shore line
spatz
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by spatz » Wed May 18, 2022 11:08 am

117 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 10:50 am
Haulover is always rough, regardless of what the water is doing on the shore line
Your point being ? I've looked at the map there were many more options than a bridge, there are so many leisure craft shown in the video there that a ditching at sea or in the marina would have had many boats on scene in a short time , then there is the Indian creek golf course, sandspur island to name a few much better options.
Keven Gaffney
TikkaT3
Airborne from Unmanned field
Closest Airfield: Potchefstroom
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by TikkaT3 » Wed May 18, 2022 11:26 am

spatz wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 11:08 am
117 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 10:50 am
Your point being ? I've looked at the map there were many more options than a bridge, there are so many leisure craft shown in the video there that a ditching at sea or in the marina would have had many boats on scene in a short time , then there is the Indian creek golf course, sandspur island to name a few much better options.
Because leisurely looking at it on a map is exactly the same as trying to figure out where to put it down when the engine has just quit.
Cessna 182
Frequent AvComer
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 77 times

Unread post by 117 » Wed May 18, 2022 11:28 am

Sigh, ok, yes Keven

You and I dont know what the pilots thoughts were, we were not there. Perhaps he knew the inlet conditions, perhaps he realised that he didnt have water gear on board, maybe one of his pax said they cant swim. Who knows? But it is a rough inlet (thats the point) and perhaps he knew this.

Why he didnt elect an alternative to the bridge, is also something we wont know either.

Its tragic none the less
Vogoff
FREDA checks
Closest Airfield: FASY
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 100 times

Unread post by Vogoff » Wed May 18, 2022 12:53 pm

If it was busy as suggested then his choices might have been:
  • Golf course - risk hitting a golfer
  • Water - risk hitting a boat
  • Road - risk hitting a car
In which case the road may have been the best worst option? Cars offer more protection to their occupants than boats or golf carts and the ones you are likely to hit will be going in the same direction so the relative speed will be lower. Although there would have to be a lot of boats on the water to be worried about hitting one...

I fear the pilot may have been battling indecision. Its an issue I have had in the past - spend far too long overthinking and trying to optimise the solution. By the time I make a decision five good options have turned into three bad choices.
These users liked the author Vogoff for the post:
Still_Learning
Matthew French
Between planes - not for long, I hope

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”