Flying into Malawi/Tanzania

Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

SIQ
Straight and Level
Posts: 244
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:14 pm
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 43 times

Flying into Malawi/Tanzania

Unread post by SIQ » Tue May 17, 2022 3:24 am

Morning

Any pilots recently/frequently flying into Malawi (Lilongwe) and/or Tanzania (Dodoma) please give me your contact details as I would like to get some general information. Thanks in advance
michael.g.miller
Aircraft in Hangar
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu May 12, 2022 2:23 am
Closest Airfield: TJSJ
Location: San Juan, PR
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Flying into Malawi/Tanzania

Unread post by michael.g.miller » Tue May 17, 2022 4:01 am

I'd also love to know the latest. I'm planning a trip down to SA from Europe (well, the US originally) and plan on stopping in Malawi / Tanzania.
C208BE30
Wanna Fly
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 09, 2017 7:58 pm
Closest Airfield: Lilongwe
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Flying into Malawi/Tanzania

Unread post by C208BE30 » Tue May 17, 2022 6:29 am

Hello SIQ and michael.g.miller
I am based in Lilongwe. feel free to pm me for info.
Regards
Ralph
SIQ
Straight and Level
Posts: 244
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:14 pm
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 43 times

Re: Flying into Malawi/Tanzania

Unread post by SIQ » Tue May 17, 2022 6:53 am

Pm sent
Segg
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 906
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:10 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Location: Johannesburg
Has liked: 366 times
Been liked: 76 times

Re: Flying into Malawi/Tanzania

Unread post by Segg » Tue May 17, 2022 9:49 am

Lilongwe, Songwe and Dodoma are all very easy and friendly airports :)

No Avgas at Songwe though, and cash only or fuel releases from Tanzania and north of Tanzania
what goes around, comes around.
Avgas
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2275
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 12:42 pm
Closest Airfield: FAWA Warmbaths ex FANY
Location: Warmbaths (Bela Bela)
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 133 times

Re: Flying into Malawi/Tanzania

Unread post by Avgas » Tue May 17, 2022 1:50 pm

Blantyre,Llilongwe,Songwe and Dodoma are all user friendly.
Club Makokola can arrange Customs and immigration at their airfield. Great accommodation. They can arrange drums of Avgas but you have to take a full drum.
Songwe Only Jet A1.
Cards accepted in Malawi but not Tanzania US$ works everywhere but they never have change.

Tanzania VERY expensive to fly.
Get overflight and landing permits arranged well in advance. They are also not valid for a long time. So plan carefully.
Check the weather. Rainy season can be very tricky.
enjoy
These users liked the author Avgas for the post:
Flight-Permits
Real Men don't have to Kill Rhino for a Horn
Balls to the wall
Richard Nicholson
TikkaT3
Airborne from Unmanned field
Posts: 481
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:30 pm
Closest Airfield: Potchefstroom
Location: In the clouds
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Flying into Malawi/Tanzania

Unread post by TikkaT3 » Tue May 17, 2022 3:18 pm

Is there customs & immigration at Songwe?
Cessna 182
Avgas
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2275
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 12:42 pm
Closest Airfield: FAWA Warmbaths ex FANY
Location: Warmbaths (Bela Bela)
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 133 times

Re: Flying into Malawi/Tanzania

Unread post by Avgas » Tue May 17, 2022 5:56 pm

Yes Songwe has customs and immigration.
Go to tower to pay landing fees and file flightplan for next leg. Not a great place to overnight as town is a long drive away.
Real Men don't have to Kill Rhino for a Horn
Balls to the wall
Richard Nicholson
Segg
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 906
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:10 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Location: Johannesburg
Has liked: 366 times
Been liked: 76 times

Re: Flying into Malawi/Tanzania

Unread post by Segg » Wed May 18, 2022 7:31 am

Avgas wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 5:56 pm
Yes Songwe has customs and immigration.
Go to tower to pay landing fees and file flightplan for next leg. Not a great place to overnight as town is a long drive away.
I usually draw some cash at the airports ATM and pay 10 000 shillings for a taxi ride to Ifisi Community Centre (a few KM away)

If you arrive in the afternoon C&I has usually gone home by then and they either come meet you at Ifisi, or stamp you in the next morning when you get to the airport. They always make a plan. Overall it's a very friendly experience. We bring Avgas in jerry cans which we fill up in Malawi ($$$$)

Ifisi has VERY nice accommodation at very good prices, and their food is also very decent :)

If I remember the last time I was there we paid around 90 000 shillings for accommodation, dinner and drinks for 2 people.

EDIT: There is a coffee plantation a little further up the road that a few friends have stayed at, it's slightly more pricey but apparently stunning

EDIT 2: You'll pay landing fees and NAV fees at the tower at Songwe in cash in USD. Make sure you bring the amount quoted in your clearance paperwork, as they don't always have change.
what goes around, comes around.
Avgas
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2275
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 12:42 pm
Closest Airfield: FAWA Warmbaths ex FANY
Location: Warmbaths (Bela Bela)
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 133 times

Re: Flying into Malawi/Tanzania

Unread post by Avgas » Wed May 18, 2022 7:52 am

When flying up north the last unfriendly treatment you will receive will be at Polokwane.
Further up north everybody is friendly.
At Songwe the Puma guys will get on the ladder and help you refuel out of your own Jerry cans. Very helpfull.
These users liked the author Avgas for the post:
fll
Real Men don't have to Kill Rhino for a Horn
Balls to the wall
Richard Nicholson
karell
Wanna Fly
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:16 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: FACT
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0

Re: Flying into Malawi/Tanzania

Unread post by karell » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:59 am

Avgas wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 1:50 pm
Blantyre,Llilongwe,Songwe and Dodoma are all user friendly.
Club Makokola can arrange Customs and immigration at their airfield. Great accommodation. They can arrange drums of Avgas but you have to take a full drum.
Songwe Only Jet A1.
Cards accepted in Malawi but not Tanzania US$ works everywhere but they never have change.

Tanzania VERY expensive to fly.
Get overflight and landing permits arranged well in advance. They are also not valid for a long time. So plan carefully.
Check the weather. Rainy season can be very tricky.
enjoy
Hi
Planning to fly Polokwane to Malawi and Zambia during July. What is the current status on Avgas availability in Lilongwe, Blantyre, Mfuwe and Livingstone? Also any contacts for Avgas in Malawi and Zambia will be appreciated.
User avatar
Ray W
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 19110
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:17 pm
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo
Location: Atlasville.
Has liked: 2587 times
Been liked: 781 times

Re: Flying into Malawi/Tanzania

Unread post by Ray W » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:33 am

karell wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:59 am
Avgas wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 1:50 pm
Blantyre,Llilongwe,Songwe and Dodoma are all user friendly.
Club Makokola can arrange Customs and immigration at their airfield. Great accommodation. They can arrange drums of Avgas but you have to take a full drum.
Songwe Only Jet A1.
Cards accepted in Malawi but not Tanzania US$ works everywhere but they never have change.

Tanzania VERY expensive to fly.
Get overflight and landing permits arranged well in advance. They are also not valid for a long time. So plan carefully.
Check the weather. Rainy season can be very tricky.
enjoy
Hi
Planning to fly Polokwane to Malawi and Zambia during July. What is the current status on Avgas availability in Lilongwe, Blantyre, Mfuwe and Livingstone? Also any contacts for Avgas in Malawi and Zambia will be appreciated.
Just remember that there's no fuel at Polokwane itself - you'll have to go to Pietersburg Civil for fuel and then on to Polokwane for customs etc.
Old age & treachery will triumph over youth & skill
karell
Wanna Fly
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:16 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: FACT
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0

Re: Flying into Malawi/Tanzania

Unread post by karell » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:03 pm

Ray W wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:33 am
karell wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:59 am
Avgas wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 1:50 pm
Blantyre,Llilongwe,Songwe and Dodoma are all user friendly.
Club Makokola can arrange Customs and immigration at their airfield. Great accommodation. They can arrange drums of Avgas but you have to take a full drum.
Songwe Only Jet A1.
Cards accepted in Malawi but not Tanzania US$ works everywhere but they never have change.

Tanzania VERY expensive to fly.
Get overflight and landing permits arranged well in advance. They are also not valid for a long time. So plan carefully.
Check the weather. Rainy season can be very tricky.
enjoy
Hi
Planning to fly Polokwane to Malawi and Zambia during July. What is the current status on Avgas availability in Lilongwe, Blantyre, Mfuwe and Livingstone? Also any contacts for Avgas in Malawi and Zambia will be appreciated.
Just remember that there's no fuel at Polokwane itself - you'll have to go to Pietersburg Civil for fuel and then on to Polokwane for customs etc.
Thanks Ray.
Do you know if fuel at Polokwane will get resolved or is this another Pilansberg?
User avatar
Ray W
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 19110
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:17 pm
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo
Location: Atlasville.
Has liked: 2587 times
Been liked: 781 times

Re: Flying into Malawi/Tanzania

Unread post by Ray W » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:50 am

karell wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:03 pm
Ray W wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:33 am
karell wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:59 am

Hi
Planning to fly Polokwane to Malawi and Zambia during July. What is the current status on Avgas availability in Lilongwe, Blantyre, Mfuwe and Livingstone? Also any contacts for Avgas in Malawi and Zambia will be appreciated.
Just remember that there's no fuel at Polokwane itself - you'll have to go to Pietersburg Civil for fuel and then on to Polokwane for customs etc.
Thanks Ray.
Do you know if fuel at Polokwane will get resolved or is this another Pilansberg?
There hasn't been fuel there for at least two years if not longer. I don't think this will be resolved soon.
Old age & treachery will triumph over youth & skill

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”