The New Instrument Rating Syllabus

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

drnick
Fuelling up
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: The New Instrument Rating Syllabus

Unread post by drnick » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:06 pm

Did the exam for the 3rd time still only 50+ % . the questions are not for the PPL guys .....weather systems in the UK and Germany and obscure oxygen masks at FL410 , density alt at high alt. Might have to re-evaluate the value as I dont want a Comm license and most of the material comes from there. :(
These users liked the author drnick for the post:
twincomanche
southside
Steep Turn Left
Closest Airfield: around
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Unread post by southside » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:45 pm

Is anyone at CAA actually doing anything about what is obviously a complete stuff up on their part? Or do students just have to suck it up?

I feel for the guys/girls trying to get a comm but cant start the IR rating until they pass this exam. While they wait for 2 months, maybe 4 or 6, they are not staying current with flying. If they eventually passed it, they are so rusty that it costs them more money to get up to scratch.

Can the CAA atleast issue some sort of statement that they are working on it? Or are they not and just dont care?

The Flight Planning exam is border line fraud in my opinion. Charging people to write an exam they understand properly but then have to thumbsuck an answer because the person who set it nitpicks between graph options and you essientially have to guess... even though you know how to use the graph
SAAFNAV
Flaps set for Take off
Closest Airfield: FAWK
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by SAAFNAV » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:52 am

southside wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:45 pm
Is anyone at CAA actually doing anything about what is obviously a complete stuff up on their part? Or do students just have to suck it up?

I feel for the guys/girls trying to get a comm but cant start the IR rating until they pass this exam. While they wait for 2 months, maybe 4 or 6, they are not staying current with flying. If they eventually passed it, they are so rusty that it costs them more money to get up to scratch.

Can the CAA atleast issue some sort of statement that they are working on it? Or are they not and just dont care?

The Flight Planning exam is border line fraud in my opinion. Charging people to write an exam they understand properly but then have to thumbsuck an answer because the person who set it nitpicks between graph options and you essientially have to guess... even though you know how to use the graph
Something has to be done. If enough people can stand together, a class action suit against CAA might in the making. I doubt it would be possible though. Safricans has a tendency to get through it and then leave it to the rest to sort out for themselves. - I hope to be proven wrong in that regard.

There is just so much systematically wrong with this exam - and CAA exams in general. It's seems this whole OBE thing has slipped in there. We (hypothetical) have no idea how IF works, but somehow passed the exam and think we are good to go fly IF. Luckily the oral examination is still there in the check-ride, but this exam is so far from reality, it is a serious risk to flight safety that will be proven in future.

I wrote the instructor principles of flying instruction exam recently. Some of those questions are verbatim copy paste from the handbook (and you have got to know which one out of the 5 recommended). Seriously, how does that make you a better instructor by reciting stupid stuff. (not even flying-related stuff, but about grammar).
SAAFNAV
Flaps set for Take off

Unread post by SAAFNAV » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:58 am

Could someone help me with this question in the IR exam please?

I managed to find the exact photo that CAA used (copyright anyone?):
838150485_airport_sign_image.jpg
The options were:
1) on runway 30 approaching zulu with 2340m remaining in the take-off direction (wrong)
2) on runway 12 approaching zulu with 2340m remaining in the take-off direction (wrong).
3) on taxiway zulu (only one that can be correct).

I selected 3 (very certain of it), but still got it wrong. CAA allocated 2 marks, indicating they also want a two-part answer (taxiway + take-off direction and distance at the intersection).

Anybody else that got this same question, or can tell me what CAA wants from this question?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Koosvr
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Port Alfred
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Koosvr » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:36 pm

CAA Similator (caasim.co.za) now offers PPL, CPL and ATPL students/pilot Free Registration, Free Bookings and Free Mock exams including IR and GR. This is their pre-launch special for a limited period only. Fee free and visit www.caasim.co.za while it's FREE.
Chalkie
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAPX
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 129 times

Unread post by Chalkie » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:27 am

SAAFNAV wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:58 am

The options were:
1) on runway 30 approaching zulu with 2340m remaining in the take-off direction (wrong)
2) on runway 12 approaching zulu with 2340m remaining in the take-off direction (wrong).

I selected 3 (very certain of it), but still got it wrong. CAA allocated 2 marks, indicating they also want a two-part answer (taxiway + take-off direction and distance at the intersection).

Anybody else that got this same question, or can tell me what CAA wants from this question?
The American way of remembering, something like this:

Yellow on black is where you are at... Black on yellow, follow that fellow... (where you are going to.)
Rule #2 Hurry up Slowly.
Cynic: One who knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
fcvanwyk
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 0

Unread post by fcvanwyk » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:12 pm

SAAFNAV wrote:

The options were:

Not sure why more are not answering as it could perhaps be very obvious to the airline pilots here...
Searching the image shows it was taken at Ben Gurion Airport. The image was used in the wikipedia page and several copies of the page all just say its a combination sign showing direction, taxiway and runway info. The best I can do is... the sign says you are on taxiway Zulu approaching an intersection with runway 12-30. If you were to do an intersection takeoff to the right you will have
2340m of runway available.
SAAFNAV
Flaps set for Take off

Unread post by SAAFNAV » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:56 am

fcvanwyk wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:12 pm
SAAFNAV wrote:

The options were:

Not sure why more are not answering as it could perhaps be very obvious to the airline pilots here...
Searching the image shows it was taken at Ben Gurion Airport. The image was used in the wikipedia page and several copies of the page all just say its a combination sign showing direction, taxiway and runway info. The best I can do is... the sign says you are on taxiway Zulu approaching an intersection with runway 12-30. If you were to do an intersection takeoff to the right you will have
Thanks for the replies.

My problem was, that the only correct option (3), was the one I selected but got wrong. The other options has got the distances right, but the phrasing indicates that you are on the runway, not a taxiway, which would make the whole question wrong.

After I got that question wrong, I contacted Examfeedback about it. Never received feedback, but in my next exam I received the same photo but with options that were correct.
I don't know if it was just random, or if they actually reviewed the options.

As I've said, I know the answer, I know the signs, CAA's options were semantically wrong, and the point allocation indicated that they were looking both for 'intersection take-off distance' and 'runway' direction. However, out of all the options that could give you two marks, the options were wrong.

Anway, I did pass the IR on my next attempt.
fcvanwyk
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 0

Unread post by fcvanwyk » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:34 pm

SAAFNAV wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:56 am
fcvanwyk wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:12 pm
SAAFNAV wrote:

The options were:

Thanks for the replies.

My problem was, that the only correct option (3), was the one I selected but got wrong. The other options has got the distances right, but the phrasing indicates that you are on the runway, not a taxiway, which would make the whole question wrong.

After I got that question wrong, I contacted Examfeedback about it. Never received feedback, but in my next exam I received the same photo but with options that were correct.
I don't know if it was just random, or if they actually reviewed the options.

As I've said, I know the answer, I know the signs, CAA's options were semantically wrong, and the point allocation indicated that they were looking both for 'intersection take-off distance' and 'runway' direction. However, out of all the options that could give you two marks, the options were wrong.

Anway, I did pass the IR on my next attempt.
Well done SAAFNAF!!! Pls share any tips?! Which of the question banks you used were the closest to the exam?
SAAFNAV
Flaps set for Take off

Unread post by SAAFNAV » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:57 pm

Unfortunately I don't have any generic tips.. Lots and lots of studying mindless facts, and then pay attention to specifics...

Altimeter setting procedures and calculations: There's a few marks there where they ask you local QNH converted to QNE etc. True alt calcs.

Lot of Met questions. But also extremely wide. From weather in Europe and wind in Iceland, to Southeaster and metar decodes. They might give you METARS, and ask if it is a valid/legal metar, by sneaking in say 400m VIS in mist.

Make sure you understand PET and PNR really well. Especially questions where they don't give you a groundspeed at all. Brush up on simultaneous equations.

Runway signs regarding intersection take-off and distances. Pay close attention to semantics. The one I struggled with was wrong on their side, but I suspect they have fixed it.

I used PilotExams for prep and worked well for me.

Apart from that, good luck and hope the computer spits out a good exam.

Return to “Instrument Flying”