NAMIBIA KR2S - ex- ZS-WVL

Kend Rand designed his KR-1 in 1972, he also pioneered a state-of-the-art foam-and-fiberglass composite construction method which has now become standard in homebuilt, commercial, and military aircraft.

Moderator: Moderators

Johan Swakopmund
Hot start of aircraft
Closest Airfield: Swakopmund
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 34 times

NAMIBIA KR2S - ex- ZS-WVL

Unread post by Johan Swakopmund » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:40 pm

Good day every KR enthusiast

Will post few pics of ZS-WVL as i discovered her in a garage in Windhoek and then follow up with
pictures and progress to get her up and running and then upgrades and beautifying as process proceed

Not only KR enthusiasts but anyone need help or visiting Swakopmund give me call or contact by mail or whats app

regards

Johan de Wet
Swakopmund
00264 81 124 8283
jdewet@mweb.com.na
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NAMIBIA FLYING COUNTRY
Johan Swakopmund
Hot start of aircraft

Re: NAMIBIA KR2S - ex- ZS-WVL

Unread post by Johan Swakopmund » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:47 pm

Loaded and on her way to Swakopmund her new home
NAMIBIA FLYING COUNTRY
Johan Swakopmund
Hot start of aircraft

Unread post by Johan Swakopmund » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:09 pm

Sorry picture on trailer not attached

Here a few pictures when dusted but not yet washed and cleaned.
After picking the lock and opening the canopy discovered air-frame and engine logbooks
with all relevant documentation inside.

Some back ground -- aircraft belonged to late Steven Naude - placard inside aircraft shows that mr L F le Roux built the aircraft ?
and registered in 1991.
Address was given as Fort Beaufort

Steven registered it to his name 1999 address Robertson-- he brought the aircraft to Namibia 2010
Rest in Peace Steven i promise to put some wind under her wings and put her back where she belong - in the air

I am now busy with paperwork and more paperwork de registering in South Africa and then register in Namibia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NAMIBIA FLYING COUNTRY
krjockey
Argument with Heli Pilot.
Closest Airfield: Matsapha
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by krjockey » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:29 am

Hoop jy kry haar gou in die lug. Ek hou van die omnivision tipe turtledeck.
Johan Swakopmund
Hot start of aircraft

Unread post by Johan Swakopmund » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:55 pm

Dankie KRjocky

Het gister twee manne gehad wat kenners is van hout vliegtuie.
Hulle het hout gliders gebou en vlieg vandag nog n hout motor glider.
KR met n vergrootglas deurgegaan en 100 % thumbs up gekry.
Die houtwerk is in uitstekende toestand en kan onmiddelik uitgeteken word vir lugwaardigheid.
Paar klein blasies gevorm tussen in die veselglas maar het klaar opdrag gekry hoe om dit reg te maak.
Gelukkig is hulle hier in Swakopmund en is bereid om my te help met sulke goed. Hulle doen ook hestelwerk op
hout en lap vliegtuie wat hulle dan mag uit teken so is opgeleide "Approved Persons"

Enjin:
Jean Crous het die enjin opgradering gedoen en het slegs 5 uur gevlieg na sy werk.
Alles binne en om enjin is splinter nuut en ons het een petrol pypie gekry wat vervang moet word asook die
petrol tenk se ventpyp wat vervang moet word . DIT IS AL ENJIN WERK
Jean het my presies gese hoe om nou die enjin te behandel na die lank staan om weer alles glad te laat loop.
Hy kyk ook nou vir my na n elektriese starter

Ek is nie gebou vir propeller swaai nie

groete
NAMIBIA FLYING COUNTRY
AndreJ
Engine re-started
Closest Airfield: Bundu Inn
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by AndreJ » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:57 am

More Johan
Ek moet se dat jy het my sommer weer geinspireer om weer ZS VYX af te stof en weer aan haar te begin werk!! Sterkte met jou projek!! :D =D>
Andre' Johnson
KR ZS-VYX
Johan Swakopmund
Hot start of aircraft

Unread post by Johan Swakopmund » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:15 am

OK PEPOEL

Promise my self if ZS-WVL engine is in good condition as everyone said it will run Satyrday 14 October 2014 --- AND IT DID

First i took the petrol tank out as it was loose en put it one side- new fuel sensor was installed but tank never got replaced properly

Then removed the brand new pugs that was only hand tightened

Sprayed some Q20 into all plugs and turned the engine to get some oil protection on inside

Disconnected the plug leads cleaned everything and plugs with leads back in place - connected a chargeable battery pack to the positive and negative.

Al instrument started up nicely and a squirt of Quickstart into the air filter

By the fith swing it gave a fart

Then i put 5 liters of fuel in the tank and turned it upside down - on its sideand top side and check for any leakage.

Tank back in place all tied up and primed the fuel system with the electric pump.

Right hand carb bowl sweating fuel at the gasket that is all.Will replace tomorrow

The back wheel was tied down with 50 kg sand bag- throttle set about 30 %

When i swung that prop the plane shot of off like a rocket and i managed to grab the tail and after doing some ploughing =trying steering the back wheel a fellow pilot ran up and closed the throttle and cut the engine

Lucky on my own and far away from any other aircraft

As i lay here 3 a clock in the morning with no skin on my lest knee - right thigh big black patch of blood under the skin and sore all over.

BUT MY AERY RUNS LIKE A CLOCK

I am now so eager to go ahead and be in the air by December - now paperwork ,paperwork and more paperwork.

NO MORE PROP SWINGING
HAVE THREE STARTERS LYING IN THE HANGAR
A STANDARD VW STATER WITH RING GEAR - VERY HEAVY
A YAMAHA OUTBOURD MOTOR SMALL STATER AND FLYWHEEL THAT WOULD NEED SOME ENGINEERING BUR MUCH LIGHTER
AND ONE A FRIEND BROUGHT ALONG

Next 2 weeks is to fit a starter and no more prop swinging - those little engines is more potent than one would imagine

Enjoy every minute of life - it is to short to be boring at the age of 63

regards

Johan de Wet
Swakopmund
NAMIBIA FLYING COUNTRY
Johan Swakopmund
Hot start of aircraft

Unread post by Johan Swakopmund » Mon May 15, 2017 12:22 pm

Mike Hasset

Please contact me on personal mail as i also have some questions regarding my KR
Dont know about the "TOPAZ" that you are mentioning but the AP who inspected my KR
is original from Germany and apparently there was some kit KR manufactured in Germany some years ago
and he suspect that my KR was one of the imported kits. He visited the so called factory in Germany and
is positive that they built fuselage kits.
Why he mentioned it is that on all fuselage component a sticker ( printed with matching numbers)
is applied. I will have a look and see whether it mentions anything about manufactured by ?
Also the wood components in the cockpit looks like factory cut in a jig and glued as they manufacture
wood gliders in Germany
The AP has many years and hours building , maintaining , instructing etc of wood construction powered gliders

Regards
Johan de Wet
jdewet@mweb.com.na
NAMIBIA FLYING COUNTRY
Johan Swakopmund
Hot start of aircraft

Unread post by Johan Swakopmund » Mon May 15, 2017 12:57 pm

Mike Hasset or any one reading this

While i am slowly moving forward (about the slow - ask South African Civil Aviation against flying )
and working like new radio and small things to be repaired.
Does anyone have fixed spring undercarriage - composite or other with instructions as the how and where
to mound for an KR project. I want to keep the tail wheel but am considering fixed gear as we fly from very good or very bad
salt / compacted runways around Namibia.
If i can get some i will consider replacing the retractable gear now that i am busy.
Have bought a Bushbaby to fly the bad and no runway conditions so is not stuck on the ground as yet and the KR
is my baby project moving forward slowly but carefully

Regards
Johan de Wet
NAMIBIA FLYING COUNTRY
Johan Swakopmund
Hot start of aircraft

Unread post by Johan Swakopmund » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:49 pm

Hi everyone
From my previous posts you will see that i was on fire about the KR and wanted to get it in the air within a few weeks.
Now as we all know flying - if you want something to happen now , quickly go by car or do a car conversion - anything
but not aviation

What i did not know after first posts was that the aircraft was part of an estate-
I CAN NOW REPORT BACK AFTER 11 MONTHS , A LOT OF FRUSTRATION , THAT BABSIE OF VAN ZYL AVIATION CONTACTED ME
YESTERDAY AND ASKED ME WHERE TO SEND THE SOUTH AFRICAN DE REGISTRATION CERTFICATE
I AM BLOWN OVER -- SOUTH AFRICAN CAA CAN DO SOMETHING - ALL YOU NEED IS TIME , TIME , AND MONEY,MONEY.
Each document they asked for had to be signed by the executor of the estate and when that was done and signed ( couriers cost
R 350 for an envelope from Windhoek to Pretoria= X 4 ) they report back that it is not stamped and signed by an commissioner of oath
all to start again.

Well eventually with all signed documents , import tax certificates original certificate of registration and what not i am expecting
my de registration certificate within next week from Babsie van der Nest of Van Zyl aviation in Pretoria.
Without Babsie it would have gotten lost - mislaid what ever, and with this i can only thank Babsie for your unselfish help and
that for a small fee from her side.
Please everyone contact Babsie she will be able to help - as a matter of fact at one point i was so frustrated and told her that
i am going to strip what i could and set the aircraft on fire just to get rid of it.
Then she would calm me down and say - lets try once more, we are going to get it done -
BABSIE THANK YOU - YOU ARE A STAR ESPECIALLY FOR SOMEONE NOT LIVING IN PRETORIA OR JO BURG.

Other good news is Namibia registration is done but could not be signed off and all relevant paperwork be handed over to me
as they need the de- registration certificate from South Africa.

Namibia the land of milk and honey ( only bring your own cow and bees ) you are wonderful compared to RSA CAA

I am looking forward to get everything rolling again and perhaps do my first test flights shortly

IMPORTANT NOTE: NEVER BUY AN AIRCRAFT OUT OF AN DECEASED ESTATE--

Cheers

Johan de Wet
NAMIBIA FLYING COUNTRY
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: EGSX
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by heinrich » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:35 pm

Namibia the land of milk and honey ( only bring your own cow and bees )
:lol: :lol:

Well gedaan Johan.
Johan Swakopmund
Hot start of aircraft

Unread post by Johan Swakopmund » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:49 pm

Just an update

I passed the project on to a friend of mine Nico Coetzer at Swakopmund.
He is a much better mechanic and pilot that i am-- of hoe Nico
Well after 10 months of rebuilding the Bushbaby i need hangar space and my marriage
is on a very thin line for not doing anything at home but always got time for aircraft.
My son Pieter ( who own the Bushbaby) is on his way to greener pastures and i will have the Bushbaby to tend to
and fly.
Pieter is on his way to do his full PPL and COM with a project engineers job in Durban nogal.
Will ask Nico to update this thread and i am also going to chirp in every now and then.
Regards

Johan
NAMIBIA FLYING COUNTRY
V5 - LEO
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 63 times

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:53 pm

johnythelaw wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:49 pm
Just an update

I passed the project on to a friend of mine Nico Coetzer at Swakopmund.
He is a much better mechanic and pilot that i am-- of hoe Nico
Well after 10 months of rebuilding the Bushbaby i need hangar space and my marriage
is on a very thin line for not doing anything at home but always got time for aircraft.
My son Pieter ( who own the Bushbaby) is on his way to greener pastures and i will have the Bushbaby to tend to
and fly.
Pieter is on his way to do his full PPL and COM with a project engineers job in Durban nogal.
Will ask Nico to update this thread and i am also going to chirp in every now and then.
Regards

Johan

...hey Johan dis goeie nuus oor Pieter, bly vir sy part. Ek laat weet as ek Swp toe kom dan ry ons 'n draai in sy Bushbaby :D
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie

Return to “KR”