Can you still talk to the weather man?

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 19 times

Can you still talk to the weather man?

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:31 pm

Way back in the dark ages I used to phone the aviation weather service and speak to a live forecaster. He would not only give me TAFs and Metars but would advise me of what weather to expect along the route, recommmend FLs and even give advice on go/nogo conditions.
Now that everything is digital and on the 'Net, is it still possible to get this type of advice live? Who does one call?
Hop
There is no gravity...the Earth sucks
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 330 times

Re: Can you still talk to the weather man?

Unread post by cage » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:32 pm

Phoned the number on the aviation weathersa site and spoke to the forecaster on duty..
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:15 pm

Hi Cage,
Will give it a go...thanks
Hop
JEdwards
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: FASH
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by JEdwards » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:18 pm

Hi Hop,

I call the met office before any cross country flight, and usually any local where the weather doesn't look too satisfying.
They are always willing to help and very friendly (FACT office). You can even visit them personally for a report and they really don't mind.

Regards
Josh
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:30 pm

Hi Josh,
Admittedly a year or so ago, I called the Jhb Met office for route weather info. The lady merely read me the TAF/METAR for each weather centre en-route...not very helpful.
I recall in the 70's (<<moderated - language>> I'm old) calling the same office and having a guy spend 15 minutes giving me detailed info of my en-route weather and lots of good advice. I used to use a whizz-wheel to put the wind forecasts into my flight log and they were usually spot on.
Hop
L.Smith
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by L.Smith » Tue May 02, 2017 11:47 am

Hi

Well it is advised to call the Jhb weather office when the weather is not satisfactory and when you go on a cross country.
The office will help and give detail for your route. The website is very useful, everything is there, if you do not know or understand how it works then you are welcome to phone them and fine out. But you're supposed to understand the weather before you fly, it is very important. So know your abbreviation.
"When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future" - Edward Lorenz
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Tue May 02, 2017 6:39 pm

Hi Mr Smith,
Sounds like you work for the Bureau maybe? I would love to hear from someone in the know...
For a long X-country, what is the best data available for the cloud en-route?
Why do the weather radars not work, when will they be back in service, or are they now f... errr... obsolete?
Is it not possible that the Bureau provide an on-line service that's tailored to the sort of view a pilot requires, rather than the sort of view a meteorologist wants?'
Any danger that we might one day get an in-flight weather service?
I know this country is vast, but on a x-country when I request en-route weather, all the controller appears to be able to give me is just the TAF/METAR's along my route and for the rest I'm facing unknown weather alone.
A more pilot-orientated service would be greatly appreciated, by all GA pilots I think!
Hop
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Tue May 02, 2017 6:44 pm

Something like this maybe huh?
IMG_9563.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Instrument Flying”