Photographic Tips / Workshop

Photography with reference to Aviation

Moderator: Moderators

Monique
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Photographic Tips / Workshop

Unread post by Monique » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:00 pm

Going to organise someone in Rustenburg to go check it out...
jjdutoit
Preflighting
Has liked: 2 times

Unread post by jjdutoit » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:33 pm

Hi Monique, please post any finding regarding the place at Rustenburg, especially if it is true and a reputable business.
JJ
Leo Theron
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by Leo Theron » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:57 am

Buying a new DSLR camera today is really a daunting task. I have been around the block a few times, so I will give some pointers.

Price:

If it is too good to be true - it normally is. There are scammers lurking in places that you have not even heard off, with the favourite line 'Send Money - as soon as it clears, the goods will be forwarded... ' After a while you will have to add that money to the price of your new camera. Yes, there are places that advertise the most amazing prices - so one question beckons - why do the South African photographic shops still sell high end, expensive cameras? Are the old photographers stupid?

Nikon or Canon:

'You can buy 2 x Nikons for the price of a 7D' - some-one said. It is true - if you do not compare apples with apples. In each range of cameras there are tools for rank beginners to all singing and dancing professional models. My three year old professional model DSLR will still run rings around a 'starter camera' from either Nikon, Canon or Olympus or anyone else - and as a second hand model like that still commands a high price. So you will have to make sure you KNOW what you are buying, otherwise you will buy again in a few months time. Get expert advice.

Lenses:

More Bravo Sierra is written about lenses than anything else. At the end it is simple - the better a lens, the more it costs. Period. You cannot pay R1 800 for a 70-300 non-brand lens and expect the same performance as a brand name 70-300 with IS that cost R7 500. Newcomers all want a lens with 'enough zoom'. Then you have a look at the old hands, and they have a fixed focal length prime lens on the camera... The better the lens, the more it costs, the bigger the aperture, the more it costs. What to do? A Nikon 70-200 f2.8 with VR costs nearly R25 000!! Yes, it is true, and there is really no cheap version available from somewhere... The truth is, you must select the lenses for the task in hand. A Nikon 55-200 lens on a D3000 will give you excellent shots - but the professional camera with the R100 000 lens will come into its own as the sun dips below the horizon and the professional photographer sets up a HUGE tripos to mount his gear. You see, he has a totally different requirement than you - it is his bread and butter.

IS, VR or NOT/

When the light starts to drop IS/VR is really magic, as you can get sharp, hand held shots at a stop or two lower than without it. You can also rest your lens on the windowsill of your car or use a tripod. Just remember - it will do NOTHING to stop subject movement - you will still need that shutter speed high enough to get a sharp subject in your shot.

Where to Buy?

I started off with Price. I buy my equipment from the local suppliers. The reason is that with a camera locally bought comes local support. Something that is indispensable - unless you buy two cameras. During a problematic cleaning of my D100 a few years ago, the shutter was damaged. I phoned the supplier, who told me to bring the camera to their workshop. They did not want to commit to a repair time. To cut a long story short: I received a call after an hour and a half. Camera had new shutter, was cleaned and ready to be collected. Can I translate that into a cheap purchase price?

So, horses for courses - A prime example is young man SOWETO on these pages. He went to the Okovango with his Jabi. He had an amazing trip, brought back excellent images. He did not go with a 210, he did not use a Nikon D3x. He has made memories that many of us can only dream off.

Last but not least - I believe that many people buy DSLR camera who should actually by a bridge camera - it is that they will never buy extra lenses or exploit the camera further. However, it is for the potential photographer to decide how he is going to use his hard earned cash. In my website - see link below - there are galleries that were taken with a point ans shoot camera - G7, G9 and Paris - if you are interested.

Want to buy here in South Africa? Want good advice from the locals? Want to join an excellent community? Have a look here: http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za. The prices that they post is only a guide - go into the shop, speak with Hedrus, Wim or Hendre. They will not only give you a good price, but you will get (proper) coffee, excellent advice and amazing backup. And they ship all over the country. (I have no affiliation with ODP - only a very satisfied customer)
Best, Leo Theron
--------------------------------------------------------
... see my photographs at www.pbase.com/leot
jab2
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAMO

Unread post by jab2 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:41 pm

Thanks for that post Leo. :wink:

I do not want to punt Leo's advice as gospel, but have been knowing him for a long time on Outdoorphoto, he does not transmit Bravo Sierra, as he calls it.

A lot of Avcom members have photography as a sideline to aviation. Leo's advice is something that can save you a lot of money to buy fuel. A lot of question now coming up on Avcom regards photography has been trampled to dust on Outdoorphoto already. So have a peek over there and see what we do and talk about. For the Guateng guys/girls, a visit to the actual brick and mortar shop in PTA will be an experience to remember. Just take a trustworthy person with to check that you stay within the agreed budget. Photography cost can quickly escalate to the cost of a small set of wings, as I found out. :wink: :)
1k poster

Unread post by Leo Theron » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:21 pm

Ja, as Cobus is saying...

I arrived at an airfield one afternoon... a guy came over and looked at my camera bag while I was 'preflighting' a camera and long lens. "Yes..." he said, "You can either fly or take photographs, but to do both is not really possible."

Fortunately he did not know...
Last edited by Leo Theron on Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best, Leo Theron
Monique

Unread post by Monique » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:35 am

Being an amatuer photographer, I was lucky with my setup. After much shopping around, I managed to get a 400D bundle from Canon at cost price when it first came out and a Canon 70-300 USM on special. Total setup was just under 8K.
747TDR
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: EICK
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by 747TDR » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi guys,

Just been messing around with my new software (bought a 1000D yesterday) and was left wondering...

Instead of downloading and/or paying for some high-end software, I decided to open up my images that were above 1mb in size with Paint (yeah I know :evil: ), and then save them into a separate Avcom download folder. I brought the 4mb+ images down to around 975kb for free. How much of the quality is lost in doing this? To the naked eye, I can't see much reduction in quality but obviously still want the best end-product possible. The only use I have for images saved this way is to post them on here, other than that I use the full-sized images for personal use.

Thoughts? Comments? Complaints? 8)
Jester
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FACT

Unread post by Jester » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:25 pm

747TDR wrote:Hi guys,

Just been messing around with my new software (bought a 1000D yesterday) and was left wondering...

Instead of downloading and/or paying for some high-end software, I decided to open up my images that were above 1mb in size with Paint (yeah I know :evil: ), and then save them into a separate Avcom download folder. I brought the 4mb+ images down to around 975kb for free. How much of the quality is lost in doing this? To the naked eye, I can't see much reduction in quality but obviously still want the best end-product possible. The only use I have for images saved this way is to post them on here, other than that I use the full-sized images for personal use.

Thoughts? Comments? Complaints? 8)
That's like buying a Porsche and fitting it with retreads. It works, but .... damn!

You've just spent R6000+ on a DSLR - don't stuff up your end product by skimping on your software.

If you don't want to pay for software, download GIMP (www.gimp.org), or if you want something from the Adobe stable that won't break the bank, buy a copy of Photoshop Elements. Paint just won't cut it.
Leo Theron
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Leo Theron » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:54 pm

... and I agree with Jester.

You can also have a look in the box. In there is a CD with Canon software - DPP. Read the manual, install and off you go.

Last but not least. Save the out of camera images as your master file. Do not edit, delete or fool around with them. Use a copy that you can edit, resize and post. Twelve months from now you will have developed some good skills - and then you cannot go back to the files that you have destroyed. Destroyed? Yes, JPEG compression is a 'lossy' file format - you cannot get detail back that you have thrown away in the compression process.

Hope this helps.
Best, Leo Theron
747TDR
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: EICK
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by 747TDR » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:02 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

I agree with your sentiments about using Paint. I was merely messing around and wanted your thoughts. Definitely gonna give Photoshop a go when I can afford it. In the meantime I'll have a look at GIMP and also use the Canon software to its full potential.

Fear not Leo, I have the out-of-camera photos safely stored in a separate file. I only play around with the copied files... [-o< [-o<
KZNChris
Frequent AvComer
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by KZNChris » Sun May 09, 2010 9:59 pm

Leo Theron wrote: Have a look here: http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za.
The prices that they post is only a guide - go into the shop, speak with Hedrus, Wim or Hendre.
They will not only give you a good price, but you will get (proper) coffee, excellent advice and amazing backup.
And they ship all over the country. (I have no affiliation with ODP - only a very satisfied customer)
Leo --- did you mention the classifieds :?:

There is a "third-way" :)

IF you are not in a hurry , KNOW what you want , and have the ready cash , then hang out at the classifieds.

MANY many great bargains come up there on a regular basis -- mostly from other photographers.

"USED" has NO negative connotation for me -- it just means GREAT bargain. :smt035
Elva

Unread post by Elva » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:26 pm

Canon has a GREAT collections of Canon lenses, Nikon as well, Pentax is a little short ther but canera wise and one of those brands will do, top models are always the best but all have some good models in the middle price to the top of the lower price range. Sigma lenses are just as good as any Canon, Nikon or pentax lenses. I was told the ther is really only one lens maker and they make nearly all the blanks for the Top three and others. Always check a lens out when buying it and even check ones that are the same from the same maker as each lens have their own 'quirks'. Also choose a camera the suits you as some just do not feel right in your had.
Just some things I have learned over the years.
Elva

Unread post by Elva » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:39 am

Hi All the clicks
I have been taking a lot of skydiving photos of late, Took over 800 over one weekend. The problem that I have, a problem to me that is. I tend to lose some details on the jumpers around 1 stop under exposed, but the canopy and sky is spot on. All the shots are taken from the drop zone using a Sigma 55 – 200 Zoom on autofocus, tried a manual focus 300mm mirror lens and well that was a bit disappointing, camera shake even with the shake reduction on, blurred out of focus as well, any way .
My settings on my Pentax (yes a Pentax and it is a great camera), are as follows;
Exposure setting AV with spot metering. Did initially use centreweighted metering.
Autofocus on spot (did try multi and it gave me more out of focused images.
Colour balance is set on bright, gives a better colour result.
Format, raw and also jpg, does not seem to matter which format I use, I do not do much editing except where it is required but I do crop to give better image size, composition and such. I often crop in camera.
Now the question is which would be better. TV or AV?
ISO 200
Spot metering has already given me the better exposure result. But I still suffer from the 1 stop under exposure at certain heights where the sky is very large, I was wondering if a +1 compensation would straighten things out here…any suggestions.
Autofocus gets me in the subject all times, unless I move off target. Multi segment also works well, so this is not a problem.
The lens could be a 300 that I know but funds are short there and if I could get a 55/70 – 300 it would have to be the Pentax lens.
Any thoughts on the general set up and what would any of you click suggest for a set up.
Thanks
:|
PJL
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Pyramid Air Park
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 36 times

Unread post by PJL » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:38 am

Elva wrote: Now the question is which would be better. TV or AV?
I would use TV as a higher shutter speed will help to compensate for camera shake and I would not be scared to use say 1/1000. Av, is really only used to control the depth of field.

ISO 200
Use an ISO setting that can achieve the shutter speed selected.

I was wondering if a +1 compensation would straighten things out here…any suggestions.
I would not go this route as you will "burn out" a lot of detail which can never be recovered, -2/3 compensation should be okay.

:|
My 2c

PJL
To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. To fly it is everything. — Otto Lilienthal

"When once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skywards."
― Leonardo da Vinci
Rudi Pretorius
Power off stall
Closest Airfield: Polokwane

Unread post by Rudi Pretorius » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:26 am

Hi all clickers

My wife bought her self a Nikkon D3000(to mom from mom)
On the side of the boks shows a free training value of R1200.00
The sale guy at game don't know where to get or go for this training

Do some of your guys/girls know where she can go for the training

Regards
Rudi
ZU-DHA
ZU-CPY
ZU-FFZ
ZU-CUJ
Love flying Ravens

Rudi Pretorius
0664752466...productionmanager@limpopodoors.co.za