GNSS Training

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

tansg
Reaching GFA
Closest Airfield: OMAA
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 43 times

Re: GNSS Training

Unread post by tansg » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:50 am

Hop Harrigan wrote:Hi Guys,
Is anyone able to obtain the Plet RNAV approach from Cemair for us? Surprises me that it's possible to have your own private approach approved by CAA yet they don't publish it (even if you paid for the survey).
Hop
Why not? There may be certain restrictions on the procedures which make them "unsafe" for normal users e.g. a higher than 3.7 degree glide slope, certain missed approaches which may need to be trained on in simulators before approval to fly, etc. This is a very common practice all over the world.
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: The Coves
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by RudiGreyling » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:56 pm

tansg wrote:
RudiGreyling wrote:
tbone wrote:Guys this is a valuable ad - on to your IF rating, remember to have it endorsed in your logbook or CAA will not process.

As NDB cables in places like Margate, have again been stolen, these approaches will be replaced by GNSS, CemAir has had approaches for both Margate and Plettenberg Bay produced, I know Margate is published.

B.
Ditto, I am planning a Mozambique Coastal & Island Air Safari trip, and most of the places I want to land do have only RNAV approaches, so this is what started this all for me (and of course learning new things)!

PS: Where is Margate and Plet Published? I dont see them on CAA.co.za?
Margate: http://www.caa.co.za/Pages/Aeronautical ... 5DE5426%7D
Thank you! Much appreciated!
Amateur Kit Builder
WW1 Fokker E-III: viewtopic.php?f=324&t=190292
RV-7: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=3239
RV-10: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=48930
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: The Coves
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by RudiGreyling » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:10 am

RudiGreyling wrote:OK, I booked the Theory class at 43 at Lanseria for next week Thursday R1300,00.

I Will keep you posted as to my findings hopefully it will help others reading this in future.
Ok feedback, I attended the theory class, was a full day, very interesting. I like the practical examples the experienced instructor / tutor used.

The first half of the day started with background, equipment required, why etc which is very theoretical but still interesting if you really want to understand.

The Second half is more about the practical side of it, looking at some plates and difference, and instructor sharing experiences.

A) You need to write a test and get 75% to pass. The RNAV Theory Pass gets endorsed in your logbook.

In my humble opinion, the R1,300 is well worth the theory class and I feel it was money well spent.

B) The next step is to go fly and practise a couple of RNAV approaches till proficient, then
C) you need to do a PRACTICAL test with a qualified DFE that will endorse it in your logbook if you PASS the PRACTICAL.

D) Then you fill in a CAA form and off to CAA you go to get LEGAL.

PS: With the Theory passed, I am still in the practice and get proficient stage.

I hope this helps others, ask away....
Amateur Kit Builder
WW1 Fokker E-III: viewtopic.php?f=324&t=190292
RV-7: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=3239
RV-10: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=48930
ppakotze
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Fly from FARS
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by ppakotze » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:50 am