Air France A380 loses engine fan and inlet cowling

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

spatz
Airborne from Unmanned field
Closest Airfield: Plaistows + Bovingdon
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Air France A380 loses engine fan and inlet cowling

Unread post by spatz » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:16 pm

Rotor kop wrote:
cage wrote:Pax still onboard, 14 hours later waiting for an aircraft to remove them.
First and business were loaded on the first 737 and left 2 hours ago - pays to be upfront.
14 hours after landing??? Not a chance any airline could be that pathetic. I would have been one of those passengers gooing all my toys out the cot if they really did pull that stunt
Did you consider that there may actually be no where for 500 odd pax to go in Goose bay? staying on board may have been the only option.
Keven Gaffney
Never let an aircraft take you somewhere your brain didn't get to five minutes earlier.
Rotor kop
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by Rotor kop » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:22 pm

spatz wrote:
Rotor kop wrote:
cage wrote:Pax still onboard, 14 hours later waiting for an aircraft to remove them.
First and business were loaded on the first 737 and left 2 hours ago - pays to be upfront.
14 hours after landing??? Not a chance any airline could be that pathetic. I would have been one of those passengers gooing all my toys out the cot if they really did pull that stunt
Did you consider that there may actually be no where for 500 odd pax to go in Goose bay? staying on board may have been the only option.
Nope did not consider that but surely a runway/airport that can handle those aircraft should have some form of area for passengers to sit??
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
spatz
Airborne from Unmanned field
Closest Airfield: Plaistows + Bovingdon
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by spatz » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:28 pm

Rotor kop wrote:
spatz wrote:
Rotor kop wrote: 14 hours after landing??? Not a chance any airline could be that pathetic. I would have been one of those passengers gooing all my toys out the cot if they really did pull that stunt
Nope did not consider that but surely a runway/airport that can handle those aircraft should have some form of area for passengers to sit??
Emergency divert i guess. the whole place has only 8000 people and a search showed few hotels. also its only 6 deg there so would think Pax are poorly equiped to deal with that. :) logistics must be a nightmare
Keven Gaffney
Never let an aircraft take you somewhere your brain didn't get to five minutes earlier.
MadMacs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: GRJ
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 34 times

Unread post by MadMacs » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:28 pm

ddevos wrote:What would have caused the discolouring, since jet fuel isn't brown and hydraulic fluid is usually red, most likely oil then?
Hydraulic fluid is purple, engine oil is orange which is what we are seeing here.
When they use the loaded term "denier" that should be the first clue that we're not dealing with a rational opponent in a debate... but "religious" dogma.
dany
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: moscow
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by dany » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:04 pm

Most aero hydraulic oil is red,however, fire resistant oils tend to be undyed, thus light straw color. (But then also, Aeroshell Fluid 61 come in dye and undye version.). Once under pressure most hydrailic oils change a bit in color. Mostly tend to turn darker.
One would think that a standard would be set to safeguard against wrong oils for wrong application.Not so,and manufacturers say that in the computer age it is cheaper to rather control via LABELS then dye.
dollar
Take off Clearance
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Air France A380 loses engine fan and inlet cowlingt

Unread post by dollar » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:17 pm

At first I thought that they may have lost a cowling and it was much ado about nothing. But if you have a proper look at the engine you can easily see that half of it is missing!

The fan is gone! Big kak there!
shadow
Taxiing
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by shadow » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:56 pm

You would think it would fail during takeoff not in cruise. How hard do engines run (% of available/possible thrust that the engine can produce ) during cruise.
Glenn L
FREDA checks
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by Glenn L » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:11 pm

spatz wrote:
Rotor kop wrote:
According to Av Herald there were no stairs available for an A380 in Goose Bay. Wonder how they got them off in the end?
kosmonooit
Fuelling up
Been liked: 0

Unread post by kosmonooit » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:17 pm

Thanks guys, I knew I could come to here to get more info after it hit the news.

The fan is completely gone! structural failure or foreign object ingress? time will tell I guess.

Are these fan blades the same tech as composite Ti / Carbon like in the RR equivalent?
kosmonooit
Fuelling up
Been liked: 0

Unread post by kosmonooit » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:20 pm

GL wrote:Fortunate seems to be no significant damage to airframe. There was a fan separation where large bits impacted the fuselage.
As far as I know the airframe and wing are designed to deal with catastrophic engine failures such as this.
Romeo E.T.
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 100 times

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:23 pm

shadow wrote:You would think it would fail during takeoff not in cruise. How hard do engines run (% of available/possible thrust that the engine can produce ) during cruise.
Average take off dependant on reduced thrust capablity = 91% to 94%
Average climb thrust = 85%-91%
Max continuous = approx 95%
Cruise = 80-85%

approximations of % of N1 RPM

these numbers are a good rule of thumb, if things like computers or EPR gauges go "belly up",
sometimes we suffer a bit from C.R.A.F.T. sickness..Can't Remember A F@#%ing Thing

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 239 times

Unread post by cage » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:26 pm

Glenn L wrote:
spatz wrote:
Rotor kop wrote: 14 hours after landing??? Not a chance any airline could be that pathetic. I would have been one of those passengers gooing all my toys out the cot if they really did pull that stunt
According to Av Herald there were no stairs available for an A380 in Goose Bay. Wonder how they got them off in the end?
Unlikely since the first and business guys (upper deck) were first to depart.
ddevos
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAVV
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by ddevos » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:29 pm

I saw a tweet from one of the passengers that the reason for the passengers staying on-board is that the airport doesn't stairs that that can cater for aircraft of this size. Confirming what Glenn L wrote...
Dirk de Vos

If you don't gear up your brain before takeoff, you'll probably gear up your airplane on landing.
Rotor kop
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by Rotor kop » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:29 pm

Glenn L wrote:
spatz wrote:
Then how did the first/business clowns get off? Fly :lol:
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
MadMacs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: GRJ
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 34 times

Unread post by MadMacs » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:33 pm

dany wrote:Most aero hydraulic oil is red,however, fire resistant oils tend to be undyed, thus light straw color. (But then also, Aeroshell Fluid 61 come in dye and undye version.). Once under pressure most hydrailic oils change a bit in color. Mostly tend to turn darker.
One would think that a standard would be set to safeguard against wrong oils for wrong application.Not so,and manufacturers say that in the computer age it is cheaper to rather control via LABELS then dye.
The different fluids are clearly colour coded with Skydrol or Chevron Hyjet being purple, the old Mil-H-5606 is red (do they even use it anymore?) and the original vegetable oils are blue.

http://ws.eastman.com/ProductCatalogApp ... 1506874837
When they use the loaded term "denier" that should be the first clue that we're not dealing with a rational opponent in a debate... but "religious" dogma.

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”