Avidyne IFD 540 GPS NAV COM training

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

kleyn
Tripped over wheel chock
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Avidyne IFD 540 GPS NAV COM training

Unread post by kleyn » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:47 pm

I have build a RV14 and equiped it to fly IFR with a Advanced IFD and PFD and a Avidyne IFD 540 GPS/NAV/COM. I am used to steam gages and is looking for someone that is proficient on the Avidyne to give me training since I am not comfortable flying IFR at the moment. I will appreciate it if anyone can put me on the right track, preferably a flight school with a simulator that use a Avidyne IFD 540 GPS.
pwnel
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: KTEB
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 31 times

Re: Avidyne IFD 540 GPS NAV COM training

Unread post by pwnel » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:41 am

kleyn wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:47 pm
I have build a RV14 and equiped it to fly IFR with a Advanced IFD and PFD and a Avidyne IFD 540 GPS/NAV/COM. I am used to steam gages and is looking for someone that is proficient on the Avidyne to give me training since I am not comfortable flying IFR at the moment. I will appreciate it if anyone can put me on the right track, preferably a flight school with a simulator that use a Avidyne IFD 540 GPS.
I assume you're instrument rated already? If so, frankly the IFD 540 is about as simple as they get. They also have a great simulator app that you can put on your iPad and play with - 100% realistic (although it uses US Jepp charts for the sim). (Search for Avidyne on the App Store).

Getting instrument proficient is a different story - do that in a plane with a 430 or 530 Garmin and the Avidyne will be trivial afterwards - especially if you've played with the iPad simm.
FAA ASEL COM (IF), MCSA SAR member, flies out of FACT, KBLM (Monmouth Exec, NJ - USA).
Mooney 231
kleyn
Tripped over wheel chock
Been liked: 0

Unread post by kleyn » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:57 am

I am IF rated but I will prefer to get hands on training in a sim or in my plane. You must be ahead of your plane when flying IF but as it is now, I am way behind when things doesn’t going as planned. For instance, with steam gauges it’s simple , time - twist - throttle -talk. In the a case of a glass cockpit there are many different ways and it can get confusing when you under pressure. I do use the IFD app but still prefer training with someone that is proficient and knows all the tricks and procedures that I believe is different from steam.
willem nieuwenhuis
Stressed Eric ain't got nothing on me
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by willem nieuwenhuis » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:32 am

What about CB, how do you avoid them ?
Cessna 150 ZS-IIK Seneca ZS-MBY
Cessna 172 ZS-MTJ Maule ZS-LSV
Piper Arrow ZS-JZY Grammun Tiger ZS-NJC
Baron ZS-KLF
Yak 52 ZU-CWJ
Yak52 ZU-ETX
highline
Straight and Level
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by highline » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:32 pm

Kleyn
Best is to get your head around how it all works and then at every opportunity go and fly approaches on clear days so you can learn how it all works in your aircraft. Flight Safety advocate this by saying" If you dont know the system properly then better to fly it in clear condition so if something goes wrong you can get yourself out of trouble". Also if you do it in reality and it does not do what you expecting then better you know how to get yourself out of trouble.
These new sytems and equipment are fantastic but have some traps in them so better to know it well and how to get yourself out of trouble when things do start going wrong.
Famous last words in many accidents" What is this F@#$ thing doing now"
Good luck
These users liked the author highline for the post:
pwnel
high fly

Return to “Instrument Flying”