737 Max not for Hot and High airports - also ORT?

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

Selfloader
Steep Turn Right
Closest Airfield: Margate
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

737 Max not for Hot and High airports - also ORT?

Unread post by Selfloader » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:47 pm

Comair has eight on order and one grounded. How will this affect the airline?

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi- ... story.html
Christo
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: 737 Max not for Hot and High airports - also ORT?

Unread post by Christo » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:04 pm

That's just another spin. If this is not resolved quickly I think comair will just cancel that order.
Due to the price increase in ammunition, do not expect a warning shot.

Sig Sauer, kinda like Glock except for men.
evanb
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by evanb » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:23 pm

I think you have to consider the missions that Ethiopian and Comair intend to fly the B737 Max's on ...

Ethiopian are looking to fly routes like ADD-JNB and ADD-ABV which are 1,872 nm and 2,186 nm, respectively.

Comair are looking to fly much shorter routes like JNB-CPT and JNB-DUR which are 686 nm and 258 nm, respectively.

The much shorter missions will reduce TOW and make the Max much more manageable for Comair.

Also, ADD is 7,657′ AMSL while JNB is 5,512′ AMSL. That's a big difference and certainly reduces the constraints operating out of JNB compared to ADD.
These users liked the author evanb for the post (total 2):
OnlyCornell Blok
ERASER
Power off Glide
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by ERASER » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:15 am

The question Comair will have to answer is how do you get the pax to trust the max again.
rainier
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 31 times

Unread post by rainier » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:58 pm

ERASER wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:15 am
The question Comair will have to answer is how do you get the pax to trust the max again.
Don't think that will be an issue. Memories are short. DC10 continued flying just fine after multiple serious issues.
You could pack most pax into 320 or 737 and they would not be able to tell the difference if you removed the seat safety cards (which tend to give the game away).
I'm sure the Max will live on for many years and will be a safe aircraft.
These users liked the author rainier for the post:
Cornell Blok
Who said the sky is the limit ? I think not.
ERASER
Power off Glide

Unread post by ERASER » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:58 am

[/quote]
Don't think that will be an issue. Memories are short. DC10 continued flying just fine after multiple serious issues.
You could pack most pax into 320 or 737 and they would not be able to tell the difference if you removed the seat safety cards (which tend to give the game away).
I'm sure the Max will live on for many years and will be a safe aircraft.
[/quote]
There is a big difference between the DC10 and Max a/c, it is social media. With the DC10 there were limited TV coverage and news paper stories. With the cargo door problem no DC10 was ever grounded, only after the engine fell off (4 years later) was the DC10 grounded and it was determent as maintenance staff not following procedure. Today with the Max, within minutes after the 2nd crash the whole world knew about the Max and the potential problem. People are more exposed to what is happening than with the DC10. The social media makes the Max out as a devil besieged craft fighting the pilot with and inevitable crash which is not true but it is in your face the whole time.......even just showing grounded Max's and showing pilots saying the a/c is not safe.
Hope you are right, I love Boeing too bits but yes, I also had a quick look what B737 I'm getting into flying shortly after the ET crash.
Ned Yakman
Tripped over wheel chock
Closest Airfield: Cape Town International
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by Ned Yakman » Sun May 12, 2019 10:29 pm

According to the Wall St Journal and Seattle Times, Boeing seems to be preparing a PR campaign, based on 737 Max customer/operator pilots endorsing the plane. Seems the pilots aren't all that keen in being used to restore public, industry and investment/financial market trust in Boeing just yet.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-max-co ... 1557669848

Return to “Airline Chatter”