Air Zim emergency out of ORT

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Mouser
Rolling
Closest Airfield: King Shaka
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Air Zim emergency out of ORT

Unread post by Mouser » Sun May 05, 2019 6:56 am

jimdavis wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:26 pm
Romeo E.T. wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:34 pm
jimdavis wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:44 am

Hmmmmm! I have just finished reading a fascinating true story about how a CVR was used against a pilot. SCAPEGOAT is a $9 Kindle book which is well written and brilliantly researched. I can thoroughly recommend it. Here's the blurb:

This is the kind of case the Board has never had to deal with-a head-on collision between the credibility of a flight crew versus the airworthiness of the aircraft." NTSB Investigator-in-Charge Leslie Dean Kampschror

On April 4, 1979, a Boeing 727 with 82 passengers and a crew of 7 rolled over and plummeted from an altitude of 39,000 feet to within seconds of crashing were it not for the crew's actions to save the plane. The cause of the unexplained dive was the subject of one of the longest NTSB investigations at that time.

While the crew's efforts to save TWA 841 were initially hailed as heroic, that all changed when safety inspectors found twenty-one minutes of the thirty-minute cockpit voice recorder tape blank. The captain of the flight, Harvey "Hoot" Gibson, subsequently came under suspicion for deliberately erasing the tape in an effort to hide incriminating evidence. The voice recorder was never evaluated for any deficiencies. From that moment on, the investigation was focused on the crew to the exclusion of all other evidence. It was an investigation based on rumors, innuendos, and speculation. Eventually the NTSB, despite sworn testimony to the contrary, blamed the crew for the incident by having improperly manipulated the controls, leading to the dive.

This is the story of a NTSB investigation gone awry and one pilot's decade-long battle to clear his name.

jim
That one definitely counts as a reportable incident
the unexplained dive was the rumored pulling of the LE devices CB and then selecting flap 1 to increase wing area, followed by inadvertent resetting CB by unknown means
It was indeed RUMOURED as you say but after reading the book I have serious doubts about that. There were massive uncommanded rudder movements at the start of the trouble, and the hydraulic pack that caused these was exactly the same one as used on 737 that had the same problem. Boeing, TWA and the NTSB were doing their best to blame the crew because that was the easy way out.

It is a truly fascinating and well written book - I can recommend it to anyone interested in aviation. Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/Scapegoat-Flight ... 0997242108

jim
Thanks jim, sorry to quote the whole post but there was also the A320 that crashed into a forest after a low speed, low altitude air show fly past (Air Crash Investigation tv?). Most survived (3 dead?) but the pilot was found to blame and, as I remember, criminally charged. He defended himself detailing slow engine spool up and other factors, including that the data recording systems had been tampered with. Was found guilty however and may still be fighting after many years.
Wingman
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Grand Central Airport
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Wingman » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:44 pm

Yes the Airbus prang captain dared Airbus to prove him wrong. He was one of their most highly regarded "test pilots" with lots of experience so it was hard to say that he was making stuff up to get a way out.
He clearly challenged the boxes data and it seems left open I think to this day. As far as I know they never took him in - he was a free guy last I checked.
You don't learn to fly you learn to discover yourself ..... the plane is just an excuse.
BigglesSA
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Has liked: 18 times

Unread post by BigglesSA » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:24 am

CockpitCat wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:29 pm
Volo wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:40 pm
Imagine so simple a notion as cameras in the cockpit with their record being fed in to uprated Flight data recorders
Actually not that simple: video (especially if it is high definition) would require high bandwidth cabling all the way to the recorder at the back, plus large amounts of storage depending on the archive period. All of that would increase the weight of the aircraft, which means less pax i.e. less revenue. As previously suggested, real-time video monitoring (i.e. no storage) would be useful to check/confirm causes of issues/alarms experienced during flight.

Another option would be to download video to earth-based storage via satellite, but that would obviously be expensive.
Cockpit I am no video expert but reading you post I wondered how my drone streams hours of HD video and sound, geo tagged and date stamped per frame to the controller via wifi. One day we flew 5 drones together filming the same object from different angles.

Storage are becoming the lesser of a problem as one gets micro SD cards today at 64 gig.

Wish "they" solve battery power storage issues soon now. Then we are going to see life as we know it change drastically.
Groetnis
Francois Gouws
ddevos
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAVV
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by ddevos » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:09 am

BigglesSA wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:24 am
Storage are becoming the lesser of a problem as one gets micro SD cards today at 64 gig.
Quick question, Biggles: is there a limit on the capacity of microSD cards in drones? 256GB cards have been out for three years already, while 512GB cards appeared early in 2018 followed by two manufacturers announcing 1TB cards in February 2019, so there is certainly a lot of capacity to be had, should the card readers be up to standard.
Dirk de Vos

If you don't gear up your brain before takeoff, you'll probably gear up your airplane on landing.
jvg075
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Erbil Kurdistan
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by jvg075 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:55 pm

ddevos wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:09 am
BigglesSA wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:24 am
Quick question, Biggles: is there a limit on the capacity of microSD cards in drones? 256GB cards have been out for three years already, while 512GB cards appeared early in 2018 followed by two manufacturers announcing 1TB cards in February 2019, so there is certainly a lot of capacity to be had, should the card readers be up to standard.
As from this week the SanDisk 1TB UHS-1 micro SDXC is available in Kurdistan, Iraq. I was told by the importer that a 2TB card is scheduled to be available by in November.
BigglesSA
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Has liked: 18 times

Unread post by BigglesSA » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:41 pm

As for a limit on drones, I am not sure???
Groetnis
Francois Gouws

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”