Aeroflot Sukhoi Superjet 100 involved in a serious incident during an emergency landing.

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Burner
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: LIMB
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 92 times

Re: Aeroflot Sukhoi Superjet 100 involved in a serious incident during an emergency landing.

Unread post by Burner » Mon May 06, 2019 1:25 pm

Jack Welles wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:13 pm
runwayasphalt wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:42 pm
There are reports of passengers reaching for their luggage during the evacuation. Infuriating! :evil:
I should imagine that once the panic hits people stop thinking, they just react and grabbing for possessions would be instinctive, especially if important docs/treasured items, etc in there.
I was told my an SEPT trainer, that in an emergency situation... without direction, the vast proportion of sheeple, will attempt to leave the aircraft through the same door they entered. Rational thought goes out the window.

I've stopped travelling with a big trolley style check in now, and carry a flat small backpack (laptop, critical documents, etc), that easily fits under my seat (for take off and landing), and behind my legs the rest of the flight.

Airlines need to stop allowing such massive carry on bags in the first place. Crew should lock the over head bins prior to pushback and before landing. Pax should be told, put your passports, critical meds in your pocket, for take off and landing. A simple lightweight locking mechanism, that can be locked in a second when the cabin crew secure the cabin.

Also, only a few airlines tell passengers to put their shoes on for landing/take off.

I read somewhere they pretty much the last person on the flight got off at around 45 seconds after the first person. Certification for aircraft, dictate everyone must be out within 90 seconds only using half the exits available.
These users liked the author Burner for the post (total 3):
Glenn LrunwayasphaltChoppaboy
10tpeg
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: Plett
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Aeroflot Sukhoi Superjet 100 involved in a serious incident during an emergency landing.

Unread post by 10tpeg » Mon May 06, 2019 2:28 pm

I have a question that goes back to the approach and initial landing - perhaps the experienced minds can make suggestions...

From what I read and see on the inter webs, they were perhaps struck by lightning, which knocked out communication. Yet they were able to squawk codes relating to their predicament. I also assume that they were able to have enough control over the aircraft to make an approach. Yet the landing appears somewhat out of control.

From my observation and thoughts, this disaster seemed to be caused by an incredibly hard landing after bouncing twice. The fire came after. So it seems.

Why the shocker landing? What systems were perhaps u/s that would have assisted a more normal landing? Is this scenario trained in the sim? If due to panic, why would the crew panic if making an approach and landing without coms? Does the old adage Aviate, Navigate Communicate still apply?

Perhaps Im being too simplistic - old GA pilot.....
Walter105
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by Walter105 » Mon May 06, 2019 2:30 pm

They obviously came in way too fast on the landing.

Would the electrical failure have meant that they had no backup airspeed and vertical speed indications?

Also, is flap and/or spoiler extension etc possible with a complete electrics failure?
The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your arm.
10tpeg
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: Plett
Been liked: 0

Unread post by 10tpeg » Mon May 06, 2019 2:47 pm

Walter105 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:30 pm

Would the electrical failure have meant that they had no backup airspeed and vertical speed indications?

Also, is flap and/or spoiler extension etc possible with a complete electrics failure?
Hence my question - They were able to squawk codes - I read on the Sukhoi website is a fly-by-wire aircraft - does this not require power? - and what about redundancy for critical flight systems ASI and VSI, and other flight controls......

Will be interesting to see what comes out in the wash with this one.
GRAHAMW
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAUL
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by GRAHAMW » Mon May 06, 2019 3:13 pm

10tpeg wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:47 pm
Walter105 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:30 pm

Hence my question - They were able to squawk codes - I read on the Sukhoi website is a fly-by-wire aircraft - does this not require power? - and what about redundancy for critical flight systems ASI and VSI, and other flight controls......

Will be interesting to see what comes out in the wash with this one.
The Captain is quoted as follows:

An Aeroflot captain who piloted the Superjet 100 in Moscow has revealed harrowing details of the accident, saying he had to crash-land with full tanks, which possibly led to the jet catching fire right after its bumpy touchdown.
There was “a bright flash and a bang” moments before the pilots began an immediate descent into Moscow’s Sheremetyevo Airport, Denis Evdokimov, a captain on the ill-fated Aeroflot flight, told Telegram channel Baza. To make matters worse, communication with the ground failed “because of a lightning strike.”

The failure left the crew with no option but to perform a manual landing. They finally managed to establish radio contact and “could only say a couple of words” to the air traffic control, who guided them back to the runway, Edvokimov recalled.

While attempting to land, the jet struck the runway several times, probably damaging the fuel tanks and causing a fire to ignite in the rear of the fuselage. But the captain failed to explain why the touchdown was so hard, only saying that “we had caught fire upon landing.”

The crew didn’t seem to have any trouble during descent, he said. “The speed wasn’t high, it was normal. [We acted] according to the flight manual.” However, the jet’s weight was much greater than required because of its full tanks, making it extremely challenging to safely land a 45-ton airliner on a runway, the pilot said.

He and his first officer followed a protocol on landing an overweight plane, but it could be the bumpy touchdown that ignited fire on board, Evdokimov suggested.

https://www.rt.com/news/458461-aeroflot ... -superjet/
Graham Wallbridge

The secret to getting ahead is getting started - Mark Twain
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by paulw » Mon May 06, 2019 3:35 pm

These users liked the author paulw for the post:
jumpseat
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
MadMacs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: GRJ
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 25 times

Unread post by MadMacs » Mon May 06, 2019 5:10 pm

I wonder if that aircraft is fitted with a RAT and if they deployed it, this might explain the brief comms and maybe critical flight instruments. What did them in though was the heavy landing which would have pushed the main gear into the fuel tanks rupturing them.

Yes there has to be an independent system that powers the emergency floor path lights and emergency exit signs. One type:

Last edited by MadMacs on Mon May 06, 2019 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The closest I get to flying these days is when I put my cellphone in 'flight mode'.
wingnutzster
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Sommerveld
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by wingnutzster » Mon May 06, 2019 5:21 pm

If im not mistaken the Superjet employs composites in its make up but is of mostly conventional metal construction, shocking to see an airliner so quickly and drastically burned to ashes - or rendered almost unctrollable by a lightning strike!

I have to ask what was the cause of 41 deaths? One expects to be certified safe she'd be subject to international evacuation and survivability standards and with so many developments and improved practices since the British Airtours 737 disaster I am surprised that in 2019 so many would perish in a parked aircraft fire :shock: :?:
"They that wait on the Lord shall mount up on wings as an Eagle"...Isa40
Jayson v Schalkwyk
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Himeville
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Jayson v Schalkwyk » Mon May 06, 2019 5:31 pm

wingnutzster wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:21 pm
I have to ask what was the cause of 41 deaths? One expects to be certified safe she'd be subject to international evacuation and survivability standards and with so many developments and improved practices since the British Airtours 737 disaster I am surprised that in 2019 so many would perish in a parked aircraft fire :shock: :?:
My reasoning:

1. Aircraft braking up
2. fire consuming rear section of fuselage
3. smoke inhalation
These users liked the author Jayson v Schalkwyk for the post:
MadMacs
Jayson van Schalkwyk

A pilot's professionalism is judged by how he flies when nobody is looking
dany
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: moscow

Unread post by dany » Mon May 06, 2019 5:36 pm

Add to that, obstruction by pax trying to collect baggage. On some videos doing rounds, one see pax carrying hand luggage while leaving the scene.
These users liked the author dany for the post:
MadMacs
wingnutzster
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Sommerveld
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by wingnutzster » Mon May 06, 2019 5:47 pm

No more so than many popular types but the Superjet has had a tough time since it's launch with one CFIT loss and at least one other gear collapse incident on the ground - not pointing fingers at what I think is a great modern airliner, I imagine any machine banged in like that would lose its legs and break something, there seems to be a lot of bad luck in this crash, from the 1 in a trillion disabling lightning strike to having full tanks and rupturing those tanks and then burning in the way it did from the back making quick evacuation difficult - so very sad

https://www.avionews.com/resource/26810 ... -2018.html
"They that wait on the Lord shall mount up on wings as an Eagle"...Isa40
Romeo E.T.
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 72 times

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Mon May 06, 2019 5:58 pm

Facebook video from inside the cabin out the Port side

https://www.facebook.com/747Brasil/vide ... 331160953/
sometimes we suffer a bit from C.R.A.F.T. sickness..Can't Remember A F@#%ing Thing

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
Wingnutter
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: Chek Lap Kok VHHH
Has liked: 8 times

Unread post by Wingnutter » Mon May 06, 2019 7:13 pm

Romeo E.T. wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:58 pm
Facebook video from inside the cabin out the Port side

https://www.facebook.com/747Brasil/vide ... 331160953/
Not wekking
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.
JCA
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Krugersdorp

Unread post by JCA » Mon May 06, 2019 7:33 pm

One thing is for sure, the emergency vehicle response was appalling. When you watch the BBC footage, the fire trucks took far to long to get to the scene. Knowing there was such an emergency they should have been deployed way earlier.
Aquila
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: VHHH or FAVB
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Aquila » Mon May 06, 2019 7:48 pm

bladewalker wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:38 pm
Yeah - bit harsh on the fire crew. Not like they are parked between the runways. They would still need to scramble personnel and probably drive some distance to the actual final resting position of the aircraft, while avoiding active runways and taxiing aircraft.

77 seconds sounds like pretty rapid response to me.
They should've been in position and ready for something........ The aircraft squawked RCF nearly 20mins before it 'landed' and 7700 on short final. All the flying done after the 7600 was quite erratic. No excuse for Fire and Rescue not to be in position.
Yeah I think you're being a bit harsh. How would you know they were not in position and ready? I think a lot of people forget what size an airport can actually be. At UUEE there are 3 parallel runways, the northern one (24R) located about 2.5 km north of 24L/24C. All three of those runways are more than 3km in length each. Considering possible communication problems the fire crews most likely weren't 100% sure which runway they were going to land on and where the aircraft would stop ultimately. I think its a much more challenging asset deployment scenario than we can understand. Think about this, at an average of 100km/h you cover 1.67 km one minute...
Raccoon jet driver...

See Horizons!

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”