We have introduced Topic Prefixes into the Classified Sections. When posting an item into any of these areas, you will notice an additional field at the top of the posting box. Please select one of the options when posting. We also request that sellers come back and edit their post once item is sold using the same field to indicate that the item is no longer available. (Click on the X in top right corner of this box to dismiss this announcement)

Jab generation 4 engines

The Jabiru Engine which is used in many other aircraft.

Moderator: Moderators

Jean Crous
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FASX

Jab generation 4 engines

Unread post by Jean Crous »

One hears so much conflicting info on Jabiru engines, I have flown the 4 cyl and the 6 cyl many years ago and both performed well. The generation 4 engine apparently uses a different method to secure the cylinder heads to the barrels ? Reason I am asking....I wonder how the 120 hp 6 cyl will perform in my Cubby Renegade ?
Can anyone that has put some hours on the gen 4 engine comment regarding the difference (if any) in reliability to the older engines ?
Jean
Cubby Aircraft Factory.
Suppliers of Nitrate, Butyrate, Adhesive, Fabric.
Rotax iRMT certificate holder.
Cell : 072 6716 240
SACAA Approved Person 402
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
Induna
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FASD

Re: Jab generation 4 engines

Unread post by Induna »

It seems like there has been a lot of changes to the engine that became the Gen4.

From what i could gather is that it now has a forged crank, all the alu parts (heads, cylinders, crank case) are casting and most interesting that the head does not bolt into the cylinder but rather its screwed in like legacy engine cylinders/heads. Also the cylinders are now also alu which means no dissimilar metals between the heads, cylinders and pistons.

I just think jabi should make the CR lower and sacrifice that few HP to make it full mogas compatible. That way they can eliminate the valve issues that over time causes lead deposits to build up on the valve stems, which ultimately caused most of their failures (according to the CASA report).

I genuinely hope that these engines will now be as reliable as any other purpose built aircraft engine out there. They are pretty engines.
Jacques van der Westhuizen
ZS-WSW | Sonerai 2L
ZU-FBA | Sonex Aircraft Waiex
Jean Crous
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FASX

Re: Jab generation 4 engines

Unread post by Jean Crous »

I passed by the Jabiru factory last week , and Len Alford kindly took me into the factory and not only showed me the new Gen 4 engine, but answered all my questions about it. Thanks Len for your time 8)
I am not dumb around engines, and can say this new engine impresses me. The highest time one, according to Len, here in SA is around 750hrs with no issues at all.
As a side note Len showed me the new CNC machined cylinder heads that he manufactures, for the older generation engines. They are made of a stronger , better alloy than the originals. Give him a call to get all the info.
Thanks again Len, much appreciated.
I can assure you, I will down the road be fitting one of your Gen 4 engines into a Cubby Renegade.
Jean
These users thanked the author Jean Crous for the post:
Ugly Duckling
Cubby Aircraft Factory.
Suppliers of Nitrate, Butyrate, Adhesive, Fabric.
Rotax iRMT certificate holder.
Cell : 072 6716 240
SACAA Approved Person 402
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com

Return to “Jabiru Engines”