Comair flights cancelled, now in liquidation

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

NKruger
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom

Re: BA & Kulula flights canceled.

Unread post by NKruger »

Kelerei wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:19 am Well, <<moderated - language>>. Flying NZWN-YSSY-FAOR-FACT in late September, and CAW was meant to carry us on the FAOR-FACT segment (QFA on the others).

Anyone know if any of the other domestic airlines have any interlining agreements with QFA (*cough* evanb)? I have no confidence that my planned flight will go ahead as scheduled.

This makes me wonder, what happens with these interline agreements given the state of Comair - not much use having an agreement with a non-operational carrier or one that has become such a liability?
These users thanked the author NKruger for the post:
JustFlying
RWB001
Engine Started
Closest Airfield: cape town

Unread post by RWB001 »

I heard Glen Orsmond tell Bruce Whitfield on the Money Show yesterday, that they (Airlines? / Comair?) got no money from the Banks from ticket sales, until the flight is flown. Is he correct?
evanb
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by evanb »

RWB001 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:35 pm I heard Glen Orsmond tell Bruce Whitfield on the Money Show yesterday, that they (Airlines? / Comair?) got no money from the Banks from ticket sales, until the flight is flown. Is he correct?
Simple answer, it depends ...

But it really depends how the flight was paid for. It also depends on whether the booking is made directly to the airline or via another airline or travel agent and settled through BSP. Also, can depend on whether it was paid via cash, debit or credit card, and then potentially the arrangements between airlines and banks. Categorically, credit cards gives the passenger the most protection.

I think Orsmond may be stretching this a little.
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Mossel Bay

Unread post by Whirly »

They might as well shut down permanently now, who in their right mind will trust buying a ticket with them again? I know the first time was not (or was it?) their fault when CAA suspended their flights. That obviously contributed to their current situation, which is terrible.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see them shut down, but they might just have committed suicide this time. People were left stranded, missed important meetings, missed international connections, etc. I won't take a chance on them and I fear many more also won't. :(

I feel for them and their clients.

Whirly.
These users thanked the author Whirly for the post (total 2):
dollarcx45338
Not every home needs a dog but every dog needs a home.
jbayfan
HASSELL checks

Unread post by jbayfan »

The flying public have short memories Whirly. Look how many are flying SAA and yet SAA is bleeding R500 million a month and shut down previously owing a fortune in unused tickets which most could not get refunds for. Then they all cry when it happens again.

The writing was on the wall for Comair. I was in the business class lounge at PE Airport last Monday waiting for my Airlink flight and a mate of mine, who is a regular flyer as am I, was waiting for his Comair flight. He was boasting about Comair and his free lounge access as a frequent flyer and I warned him that they were bankrupt and on the verge of shutting down and he laughed me off. Next day I sent him a snapshot of the breaking news.
C182, C210, PA30, PA34, 7ECA, R2160i, AC11, BE55, BE58, SR22, BE90, BE20, B190, BE99, C501, DC3, DHC6, B732, B733, B734, B744, A319, A320, A332, A333, A342, A343, A346, R44, UH1H (Pending: HX50, HC50)
Ugly Duckling
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB

Unread post by Ugly Duckling »

Sadly the diagonal runway is filling up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul Sabatier
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
JCA
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: Krugersdorp

Unread post by JCA »

evanb wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:04 am
RWB001 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:35 pm I heard Glen Orsmond tell Bruce Whitfield on the Money Show yesterday, that they (Airlines? / Comair?) got no money from the Banks from ticket sales, until the flight is flown. Is he correct?
Simple answer, it depends ...

But it really depends how the flight was paid for. It also depends on whether the booking is made directly to the airline or via another airline or travel agent and settled through BSP. Also, can depend on whether it was paid via cash, debit or credit card, and then potentially the arrangements between airlines and banks. Categorically, credit cards gives the passenger the most protection.

I think Orsmond may be stretching this a little.
Here is the reply I got from my CC company :-
"Please note that when disputing transactions all banks have to adhere to the rules of the Worldwide Card Associations. As your credit card is only a medium of payment, we are not authorised to cancel any transaction on your behalf.

We advise you to address the matter directly with the merchant concerned, in order to obtain a credit.

Please supply us with a copy of the email to the merchant and the merchant’s response. On receipt thereof, we will be able to investigate your dispute, and inform you once a decision has been made.

Our Disputes Department may be contacted at xxxxx

Thank you for contacting us; we apologise for any inconvenience and sincerely hope that your dispute will be suitably resolved.

If you still need help with anything, please don’t hesitate to give us a call or just reply to this email.

So perhaps GO should be subjected to a bit of stretching.
snoopy
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FASH

Unread post by snoopy »

Comair and Airlink collaborate to assist customers affected by suspension - Getaway Magazine. 7 June 2022

https://www.getaway.co.za/travel-news/c ... uspension/

A way better gesture than what happened to Mango customers who had paid tickets on Mango (owned by SAA) flights. :idea:

All the same, its sad to see this happen to Kulula/Comair which was always a great domestic airline to fly with. At least Comair/Kulula isn't just walking away pocketing their pax's cash. =D>
Vivere come se mai dovessimo morire
snoopy
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FASH

Unread post by snoopy »

Categorically, credit cards gives the passenger the most protection.
Dont ever pay an airline any other way, unless you dont have a credit card. You normally can reverse the transaction with the credit card company (T&Cs apply) if you do it quick enough, when a airline does not deliver the service paid for.

We learnt the hard way, that if one pays cash/EFT; the supplier may simply walk away with your cash, even if they never flew the flight you paid for. Paying cash/EFT cost us a fortune with Mango (who's BRP is supposedly still "preserving" our cash in their BR process, the BRP in Mango's BR process, is also the 1st entity to get paid if there is a liquidation cascade, so obviously the BRP has a vested interest to "preserve" the cash of the pax that were never flown).

So we will never pay by EFT/cash to any airline again in future, and definitely not in this present aviation climate.
These users thanked the author snoopy for the post:
evanb
Vivere come se mai dovessimo morire
@jb
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Petit

Unread post by @jb »

I just hope glen orsmond and the investors get exactly what they deserve.They have blatently destroyed family's and peoples careers.This I know for a fact REALLY HOPE YOU GUYS GET WHAT YOU DESERVE
Volo
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAOR

Unread post by Volo »

@jb wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:21 pm I just hope glen orsmond and the investors get exactly what they deserve.They have blatently destroyed family's and peoples careers.This I know for a fact REALLY HOPE YOU GUYS GET WHAT YOU DESERVE
So jb -what did Comair do that other airlines didnt do and I am presuming you are talking about the COVID period ?
MilesvdM
Left Base (unmanned)
Closest Airfield: FAOR

Unread post by MilesvdM »

A sad day today. Seems like it should have had a better outcome.
Ugly Duckling
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB

Unread post by Ugly Duckling »

Sad day
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul Sabatier
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
richard C
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGM

Unread post by richard C »

The end of an era.
Grant all equity and dignity
Richard Cook Consulting Architects (Pty) Ltd
Ray W
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo

Unread post by Ray W »

This is so very sad. I feel for all the staff.
Old age & treachery will triumph over youth & skill

Return to “Airline Chatter”