Airline Pilot Salaries in South Africa?

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

jean
Airborne from Unmanned field
Closest Airfield: FACT

Re: Airline Pilot Salaries in South Africa?

Unread post by jean »

sausa wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:13 am Hello,

I was born and raised in SA and moved to the US when I was 18. Learnt to fly and went through the hoops, now working for an Airline here. I have no intentions to move back but I was always curious what Airline pilots in SA actually earn.

It seems there is a big cultural difference between sharing salary information. I've asked on other forums and people seem to take offense to the question not sure why. Here everything is public, anyone in the world can look up my hourly rate. So if anyone can share or give me a general idea that would be great.

More specifically here are some questions:

Are pilots salaried or paid hourly?
What is the average income per year for a B737 FO, B737 CA?
Is everything done by seniority?
For a domestic airline, what does the average pilots schedule look like. Days off, layovers etc.

Many thanks.
If you explained why you want to know and what you'll do with the info, perhaps ...
jean
Airborne from Unmanned field
Closest Airfield: FACT

Unread post by jean »

evanb wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:24 pm
Snitch wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:47 pm Older generations also tend to cling highly to their salary confidentiality, while younger generations tend to more freely share the info so that companies cannot take such huge advantages against them as they did in the past.
I also find it differs by country. In the US it was a taboo subject whereas in Europe many more public sector or pseudo public sector jobs meant salaries are often linked to publicly known structures making society more open about it.
also you can only compare what is comparable: in top EU countries that also happen to have a large industry, top medical cover, excellent pension, risk gratuities, cheap education for kids, early age of retirement at full last salary, unimpeded right to strike, complex dismissal procedures meant to really protect employees, etc etc ... on most of these counts the US cannot compete. Beside if you are a pilot and are based in Paris, Berlin or London, or Toulouse or Barcelona, it is not like Saskatoon, Omaha, Eugene or Charlotte, is it?
evanb
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by evanb »

sausa wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:49 am Do you maybe have the countries mixed? Here's an example

https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/air ... nstalled=0

Guys on this forum every year share their net earnings, airline and position. I guess airlines there are not unionized probably part of the problem.
Not at all. Delta is unusual given a very structured pay scale. My point specifically was that transparent pay scales are more common the Europe than the US. More generically, in the corporate world in the US it's not uncommon to have non-disclosure terms in work contracts, particularly in "right to work" states where the penalty for disclosure can be immediate dismissal without cause. It was in several employment contracts during my time.
b-rad
Steep Turn Right
Closest Airfield: FAPM

Unread post by b-rad »

Down under wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:17 pm
b-rad wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:27 pm
sausa wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:56 am

Sure! Its not really going to mean anything to pilots in SA because cost of living etc is completely different, which is why I'm curious and asked for SA Airline pilot compensation, but i'm glad to share.

Yr 2/3 United B737 FO

179k gross
7k profit sharing
193k total (6k Per diem)
977 credit
534 block
What kind of roster do you have? Is there some movement of pilots chasing sign on bonuses?
Not to high jack sausa's thread and I can't speak for United. In general in the US the regionals, ULCC, majors do anything from 1-5 day trips. Everything is seniority based so the senior guys normally get to do the 1-3 day trips and the more junior guys gets the 4-5 day trips with some exceptions of course. On a 4 day trip for example you will leave your base on day 1 and only return on day 4. That is one thing that is nice in the SA airline industry, you pretty much sleep in your own bed every night. Over here, depending on your seniority and if you commute, you can be away from home 10-15 days a month maybe even more.

The sign on bonuses are crazy right now. I am getting cold emails from some regionals offering a 100kUS$ sign on bonus on day 1. The regionals and even ULCC's are really struggling right now with attrition. Each major is planning on hiring a couple of thousand applicants just this year. The sign on bonus is more at the regional and ULCC level to try and poach competition from their respective competitors. So the majority of the guys chasing the bonuses are CFI level.

Normally to get to the airlines you become a CFI for a year or two, get your 1500 hours for ATP, go to a regional for 2-3 years to get your jet time and then go to a major for your final career move. Now they are so desperate even some ULCC's are taking guys straight from CFI with an ATP to fly an airbus.

The US has its problems like everywhere else, but the aviation industry I would argue is probably the best in the world right now.
Any recruiting of pilots from Europe (EU passports) happening or still too complex for operators as far as visas go?
Down under
Fuelling up
Closest Airfield: KDFW
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Down under »

Not as far as I know unfortunately. The most popular visa right now is the E3 visa for Australian citizens. It's a very easy visa to get and costs the employer zero $. The employer fills in a paper and the Aussie pays a few hundred $, do an interview at US consular and then has the right to live and work in the US for 2 years at a time, renewable. It does not lead to any permanent residency though. I know there has been talk to get Ireland citizens on the E3 visa as well.

I know of some South Africans that did the EB2-NIW visa. I'm not familiar with it at all but it sound like you pretty much pay for your own green card. There are a few requirements in regards to flying time for that visa, something like 5k total time and a fair bit of that has to be turbine PIC, don't quote me on that. Maybe something to look into.
Only
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: KJSO

Unread post by Only »

Down under wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:40 pm Not as far as I know unfortunately. The most popular visa right now is the E3 visa for Australian citizens. It's a very easy visa to get and costs the employer zero $. The employer fills in a paper and the Aussie pays a few hundred $, do an interview at US consular and then has the right to live and work in the US for 2 years at a time, renewable. It does not lead to any permanent residency though. I know there has been talk to get Ireland citizens on the E3 visa as well.

I know of some South Africans that did the EB2-NIW visa. I'm not familiar with it at all but it sound like you pretty much pay for your own green card. There are a few requirements in regards to flying time for that visa, something like 5k total time and a fair bit of that has to be turbine PIC, don't quote me on that. Maybe something to look into.
I am in the final stages (just waiting my for my interview at the US consulate) of a EB3 visa, another type of green card. I have an employer that side that proofed to the Department of Labour that they need me because there is not enough Americans to the job. It is costing an arm and a leg and where I was told it is about a 2 year process due to Covid it is already been more than 3 years now with no idea when the consulate will schedule my interview.
Down under
Fuelling up
Closest Airfield: KDFW
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Down under »

Nice, congrats and good luck. I know how frustrating it can be to try and get an appointment for the visa. It will definitely be worth the wait once you get over here! The silver lining is you going to skip winter weather ops in the US :D

Return to “Airline Chatter”