Green and Gold - A big thank you to Avcom

Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

Airplaneguy9
Power on stall
Closest Airfield: Cape Town Airport

Green and Gold - A big thank you to Avcom

Unread post by Airplaneguy9 »

(Mods - Not sure if I should post this here, so if it does not belong here, please feel free to move)

So, you might have heard of this livery that FlySafair recently painted:

credit: Jono Druion/Jetphotos.net

The truth is, is that it was partially this forum that was able to get this beautiful paint scheme flying!

About two years ago, I did a fictional design for a potential "green and gold" Springboks scheme. A year later, on this thread, someone asked about a "green and gold" scheme, and I posted my design in response.

Little did I know that a few days later, FlySafair would contact me themselves to ask if they could use this design on an actual aircraft!

After some talks, a full rebrand, a redesign, and a year and a half, the revamped design finally took to the skies for the first time. And as of right now, it's also the official aircraft of the 2023 Rugby World Champions, the Springboks, who arrived in Cape Town last night using the aircraft. I'm going to try and catch it tomorrow morning when they leave for Durban.

While I did the original design, the truth is that I was only one of a handful of amazing individuals who was able to make this happen. I would like to extend a special thanks to FlySafair for choosing to use this design for their fleet, and for getting the logistics done to make it happen, and I would also like to thank all of you here at Avcom, especially the people who posted in that original thread - your input helped this come to life. Also thanks to everyone outside the forum, family and friends, who have congratulated me so far - they may not be physically here on Avcom, but I would like to still thank them regardless.

As a final, I am not being paid for this, nor was I paid to commission this, and the only reason that I made the design was out of respect for our culture, a passion for aviation and a love of flying, just like the rest of the amazing folks on here.

If you would like to see the article about the topic, it is available through FlySafair's inflight magazine, specifically the November 2023 issue. I waited for the issue to come out before posting this thread, so as to not violate NDA. I do ask, however, that even though my real name and age are public information in the article, that you please do not mention it in this thread for privacy reasons.

Original design, June 2021
These users thanked the author Airplaneguy9 for the post (total 7):
Capt. KyleUgly DucklingPatrick AL0031003Rotor kopBingoRoger
Clear prop!
GLF4
1k poster
1k poster

Re: Green and Gold - A big thank you to Avcom

Unread post by GLF4 »

Airplaneguy9 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:22 pm (Mods - Not sure if I should post this here, so if it does not belong here, please feel free to move)

So, you might have heard of this livery that FlySafair recently painted:

credit: Jono Druion/Jetphotos.net

The truth is, is that it was partially this forum that was able to get this beautiful paint scheme flying!

About two years ago, I did a fictional design for a potential "green and gold" Springboks scheme. A year later, on this thread, someone asked about a "green and gold" scheme, and I posted my design in response.

Little did I know that a few days later, FlySafair would contact me themselves to ask if they could use this design on an actual aircraft!

After some talks, a full rebrand, a redesign, and a year and a half, the revamped design finally took to the skies for the first time. And as of right now, it's also the official aircraft of the 2023 Rugby World Champions, the Springboks, who arrived in Cape Town last night using the aircraft. I'm going to try and catch it tomorrow morning when they leave for Durban.

While I did the original design, the truth is that I was only one of a handful of amazing individuals who was able to make this happen. I would like to extend a special thanks to FlySafair for choosing to use this design for their fleet, and for getting the logistics done to make it happen, and I would also like to thank all of you here at Avcom, especially the people who posted in that original thread - your input helped this come to life. Also thanks to everyone outside the forum, family and friends, who have congratulated me so far - they may not be physically here on Avcom, but I would like to still thank them regardless.

As a final, I am not being paid for this, nor was I paid to commission this, and the only reason that I made the design was out of respect for our culture, a passion for aviation and a love of flying, just like the rest of the amazing folks on here.

If you would like to see the article about the topic, it is available through FlySafair's inflight magazine, specifically the November 2023 issue. I waited for the issue to come out before posting this thread, so as to not violate NDA. I do ask, however, that even though my real name and age are public information in the article, that you please do not mention it in this thread for privacy reasons.

Original design, June 2021
Nice, glad my comment made you do the original green and gold in the old scheme! LOVE it when airlines do specials...
GLF4
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by GLF4 »

And I got some nice photos of it as well, so happy :D
lupedelupe
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by lupedelupe »

Your original design is even better. =D>
Roger
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAPE

Unread post by Roger »

That is an awesome story.
Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.
Ugly Duckling
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB

Unread post by Ugly Duckling »

Well done =D>
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author Ugly Duckling for the post:
Airplaneguy9
Paul Sabatier
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
Airplaneguy9
Power on stall
Closest Airfield: Cape Town Airport

Unread post by Airplaneguy9 »

Update: I got to tour the aircraft!

(Warning: I probably got some stuff incorrect in the video :wink:)

These users thanked the author Airplaneguy9 for the post:
PJL
Clear prop!
Patrick AL
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FACT

Unread post by Patrick AL »

Congratulations Airplaneguy9!

Best ahead with your studies, training, and career! 8)

https://www.capetownetc.com/events/arts ... oks-plane/

Taariq Hendricks, a Grade 12 student at Pinelands High School is the creative brain behind the artwork featured on the FlySafair plane that flew the Springboks around on their World Cup Champions tour.
Picture: FlySafair

Also read: Springboks bus crashes into the yard of a private home in Eastern Cape

Cape {town} Etc discount: Enjoy a 7-Night Getaway in the Maldives for only R10,999! (Valued at R19,999). Get the deal here.

Taariq’s design caught the attention of FlySafair CEO Elmar Conradie online, prompting the airline to approach him for the use of his artistic creation.
Picture: Niel Swart

Taariq, an avid aviation enthusiast, is presently working towards obtaining his Private Pilot’s License at Cape Town Flight Training Centre. Post-graduation, he aspires to embark on a career as a commercial pilot
These users thanked the author Patrick AL for the post:
Airplaneguy9
:smt051

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”