We have introduced Topic Prefixes into the Classified Sections. When posting an item into any of these areas, you will notice an additional field at the top of the posting box. Please select one of the options when posting. We also request that sellers come back and edit their post once item is sold using the same field to indicate that the item is no longer available. (Click on the X in top right corner of this box to dismiss this announcement)

Flybabies in South Africa

The Fly Baby is a single-seat, open cockpit, folding-wing monoplane powered by engines ranging from 65 to 100 HP

Moderator: Moderators

Jimbo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Flybabies in South Africa

Unread post by Jimbo »

I asked flying to add this forum because I know there are other flybabies in the RSA. It would be interesting to know the where they are and what their current status is. A couple of pictures would be nice.

I'll kick it off with mine:

Reg. ZS-VXA
Engine Lycoming 0235 115hp
Location FAPE
Status Operational
Owner Jim Tucker
IMG_2523(c).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKR

Re: Flybabies in South Africa

Unread post by Pete »

Hey Jimbo
How nice is this 1/2 scale model of ZS-VXA with a copy of Renate built by a fellow in I believe Czechoslovakia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jimbo

Unread post by Jimbo »

That is unreal. Must have been just about the same amount of work as a full scale.

Thanks. :D :D
Mike Wissing
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: KBDN

Unread post by Mike Wissing »

Who owns UFI, ex- Tony Wills FB?
Mike Wissing
C.A.P. Search and Rescue Mission Pilot - SAR Mission Check Pilot Examiner.
Professional RV builder and company test pilot
I can't wait for computer keyboards to come out with a breathalyzer..........
FlyBabyNut

Unread post by FlyBabyNut »

Hi Jimbo,

I have ZS-UFJ - in a "couple of pieces" in my garage - is currently employed as a dust magnet - and deserves some love and attention, glue and a new tail - :oops: :oops:

Some pix of my bits + one of VXA in her original clothes

Have got to get a splicing jig made up to attend to replacing the burnt section longerons, etc - re ply the sides and install the vertical tail, etc, etc - 90% to go 8)

Rgds

Matt Ford

[attachment=3]ZS-UFJ - Wings and Tail Feathers.JPG[/attachment][attachment=2]ZS-UFJ - Brackets - 2.JPG[/attachment][attachment=1]ZS-UFJ - Fuse Side - 2.JPG[/attachment][attachment=0]Ivo.jpg[/attachment]
Jimbo

Unread post by Jimbo »

Thanks Matt - interesting to see the old VXA paint scheme. Looks like you've got lots of work ahead.
What went wrong?

Jim
Jimbo

Unread post by Jimbo »

Mike Wissing wrote:Who owns UFI, ex- Tony Wills FB?
Sorry Mike - no idea. Maybe we should ask Ray W - he seems to have lots of historical info.
FlyBabyNut

Hi Jimbo,

Looks like you are having great fun scooting in the sea spray down by the "Bay" in your pic??

BTW - how are you finding the handling a feel of flying VXA?

Many articles describe the F/B as "delightful" - do you agree?

UFJ was built by Gary Webb in - a schoolteacher down in Durbs in nthe early 1970's - probably at the same time as Tony Wills = sequential reg numbers ??

She flew for some 20 odd hours with a Lycoming 65HP engine, and was operated from the airfield at Estcourt.

Then one windy day some enterprising local dudes upwind from the airfield set the veld alight, which blew across the hangers, one of which had fibreglass roof panels.

Luckily for UFJ she was the second but last a/c to be pulled out, but a sheet of melting f/g fell across the top of the vert fin and destroyed the aft section of the fuse.

She then sat with her wings folded in storage for some 25 odd years - until I located him in a search for each of the registered Fly Babies (I owned ZS-BAB at the time, but she was missing a lot of brackets, and I thought I could use the parts from UFJ to get BAB into the air - BUT homebuilts are hand made, and nothing would fit - costly lesson - but I sold BAB to concentrate on UFJ, and have basically restored everything except the wood repairs and replacing all the control, flying, landing and drag/anti-drag wires + covering + new cowlings + instruments + fuel system + engine mount and and and..... )

I was able to obtain all the tail feathers and rear fuselage section from the Rinkel family after ZS-UVV was destroyed in Lex's fatal accident - so intend to re-fit these and to get UFJ into the air - someday

Have been a bit s@#$%scared to cut the fuselage for repair sections for some time, but with Pete Lastrucci's help we are making a alluminium jog to cut the splicing joints to attach the repair sections.

So - once this mental hurdle has been overcome, we should get back to a better rate of progress this spring time

Current thinking is to paint her in USAF training blue fuse + yellow wings/fin and stab/elev - hence my avatar - should be me flying like that and putting my own piccie up 8) 8)

[attachment=2]rinkel1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]lastr1_th.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]lastr2_th.jpg[/attachment]

Rgds,

Matt Ford
083 375 3000
Pete
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKR

Unread post by Pete »

Mike Wissing wrote:Who owns UFI, ex- Tony Wills FB?
Mike UFI was bought from Tony Wills by Cyril Manser who wanted the engine for his replica Cub.
I then bought the airframe from him and installed a zero timed O200 Continental. I had many hours of fun flying in it and then decided to do a complete airframe restoration.
Many many hours of work were put in to it by me and I was eventually convinced by Claude Pullen that he "needed" to own it and would complete the assembly with loving care. Claude subsequently had a lot of good hours in it and sold it to a chap at Springs (his name escapes me) but I believe all the red tape of getting a conversion to type has prevented him from enjoying this wonderful little aeroplane.

There have also been several radio controlled models built of ZS-UFI and once I was at Shuttleworth Collection model aeroplane day in the UK and stumbled across a nice replica of UFI.. the owner was stunned when I pulled out a pic of me with the "real" one! 8)
I also built a third scale model of UFI and it flys beatifully with an OS Pegasus 4 cyl replica of the little Conti.

I have attached a few pics for interest
Mike Wissing
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Thanks Pete! Tony and David look so young in the photo outside the PMB Aero club!
I see there is a rare bipe Fly Baby at an airfield really close to me. (Sisters, Oregon) I am going to call up the airport owner and ask him about it. The FBaby owners last email follows charlesrharp@hotmail.com if you are interested in contacting him.

I have emailed Charlie and am waiting his reply regarding seeing it in action
bowers bipe.jpg
Mike Wissing
FlyBabyNut

Hi Mike,

Greetings from SA again - Methinks you need to get a converison to type and give us a FB Bipe flight review!! 8) 8)

Is she for sale?

Am always looking at Barnstormers.com and there have been some very good deals - well under $10k

The only prob with importing is the additional cost to ship and import a FB into SA, otherwise, I would do so - seeing as I am not making too much progress on my one - just a lazy bugger - needing a Pete Lastrucci sized boot up my arse :wink: :oops: :oops: to motivate me into my garage and get back to making some progress on ZS-UFJ

BTW - did you know Mr Gary Webb who built ZS-UFJ, or see his/my project while he was busy building her?

Hi Pete,

2 of the pics on that multi-pic image looks like UFI has flown into the roof!!! #-o #-o

Cool pix!!

Matt
Mike Wissing
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

One of the wonderful things about The FAA is if you have a PPL or Comm with single engine land, and a tailwheel endorsement, you do not need to get a convex to type. You can fly ANYTHING in that class and category! All that you need to do is have a high performance endorsement if you want to fly something over 200 hp, and a complex endorsement for a retract and twisty propeller thingy!
Mike Wissing
Mike Wissing
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

BTW, I have a passion for Fly Babies and would love to own one. I just have to get past my wife!!
Mike Wissing
FlyBabyNut

Hi Mike,

When she zigs, U zag !! 8)

Matt
Mike Wissing
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

My wife is pretty oblivious, but I am SURE she would notice another plane in the hangar!!
Mike Wissing

Return to “Bowers Flybaby”