potgietersrus airfield closed (mokopane)

Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

J.a.N
Steep Turn Left
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

potgietersrus airfield closed (mokopane)

Unread post by J.a.N » Sun May 08, 2011 12:23 pm

I heard this morning that our municipal airfiels is closed but you can still land and take off but at own risk (there is a cross drawn on both sides 36&18) . I just can't understand that because here recently started a flyingschool and I heard rumours that there is going to start a gyrocopter flightschool and it is already approved ? Does anybody have more info about this?
Da Vinci
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Nelspruit
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: potgietersrus airfield closed (mokopane)

Unread post by Da Vinci » Sun May 08, 2011 1:05 pm

Landed at Potties 2 weeks ago and the the runway, taxi ways and parking area was in good condition. Look a bit deserted though... Its sad, very nice airport and approach
One Life - Live it
AVK
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by AVK » Sun May 08, 2011 1:40 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Ag NO!!!!!!! Why????
J.a.N
Steep Turn Left

Unread post by J.a.N » Sun May 08, 2011 3:03 pm

Something about the municipality refusing to pay insurance and they say the airfield is to expensive to maintain. I agree it's a nice airfield, and the runway was repaired a few years ago and I think that the runway was tarred over completely. Its quite active with the airschool and I think it would be unnecesary to close down such a beautifull airfield! I agree that its in a good condition too!
Sprinter
Cows on Runway - doing go around
Closest Airfield: FAQR

Unread post by Sprinter » Sun May 08, 2011 8:22 pm

To you guys in Potties

Please take note of what can be done by a few guys in Alldays please!!!! make it happen at Potties.
Francois Duvenhage
barfly
Airspeed active

Unread post by barfly » Sun May 08, 2011 8:26 pm

If the two crosses are on the runway, and you land there and something goes wrong and you damage the a/c, surely the insurance can get out of paying for your aircraft damage?!?!? Can't some private person, i.e. from the flt school for example take over from municipality, or work with municipality, for example as is done successfully in Barberton?
J.a.N
Steep Turn Left

Unread post by J.a.N » Sun May 08, 2011 8:49 pm

I was just thinking the same thing! Potties doesn't have a flying club and I heard that potties once had a flying club and they had more than a hundred members! I'm sure if they start one now they will make a huge success of it! I read the story about the Alldays flying club and it's just amazing what they have done! I really hope that they'll start a flying club at potties very soon!
J.a.N
Steep Turn Left

Unread post by J.a.N » Sun May 08, 2011 10:13 pm

Does anybody know if my info is correct? Don't want to go around and maybe spread the wrong message ? Does anybody from Potties know if I'm correct or have any info?
N4810Y
Forgot to remove the chocks!

Unread post by N4810Y » Mon May 09, 2011 8:06 am

As far as I know the airfield was upgraded by Anglo Plats ? I fly there quite often and don't know what costs the municipality are complaining about. maybe the insurance which arent much anyway. Anglo should take over that airfield they anyway use it quite often. We have the same problem in Secunda. The municipality aren't doing anything any more. We as the Secunda Flying Club are trying to take over from them now.
J.a.N
Steep Turn Left

Unread post by J.a.N » Tue May 10, 2011 7:59 pm

Yes I think its Anglo that upgraded it. It would be nice if they can take it over . I often see a King Air overhead that lands here for them.
Thys Bas
Frequent AvComer
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by Thys Bas » Tue May 10, 2011 9:53 pm

Phone CAA, talk to Mr Hugh Radebe or Mr Oupa Letele. They can tell you what the status of the airfield is as far as CAA is concerned. Perhaps there is a giant misunderstanding between CAA and the Municipality regarding the closure of the runway. Perhaps the municipality decided to go the white cross way after a bad inspection report from CAA? Or perhaps it may still be used as a "private" airfield after a notam and everybody can continue on their merry old way. Just talk nicely to CAA to give you tips on how to motivate it, they are very helpful chaps.
Nico Willemse
Returning to aircraft
Closest Airfield: Potgietersrus

Unread post by Nico Willemse » Thu May 12, 2011 11:45 am

We,the hanger owners and pilots at Potties maintain the airfield.The municipality does not want to do anything at the airfield.
The runway is in a very good condition,but lookout for wild animals on approach.
Nico Willemse
ZU-DMM
ZU-AWA
ZU-AJO
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZU- AVB
ZU- CNV
082 852 5961
Roger
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 440 times

Unread post by Roger » Thu May 12, 2011 11:54 am

The insurance is probably the 3rd party public liability that all municipalities are required to cover all their public amenities like play parks and the likes.
Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.
George

Unread post by George » Thu May 12, 2011 12:04 pm

FAVB shut down the airport a while back because of bad report. Turns out the CAA wrote a letter stating repair the following to keep license and council took the gap to shut it down.... We replaced the windsock, painted the correct number of lines at Thresh and removed the duplicate "shadow" of the old painted runway numbers and the airfield was operational again.... Council did nothing. Check that it has just not lost it's licensed status from CAA side because of technical issues and liaise directly with CAA. Council will shut down airfield since they see it as a cost center and one where they can not "redirect" funds out of easily. Sad but IMHO fact...... Could easily be kept as unlicensed strip?
J.a.N
Steep Turn Left

Unread post by J.a.N » Fri May 13, 2011 7:24 pm

Uit Noordelike Nuus:

"Groot was 'n vlieenier se verbasing toe hy hier op Mokopane met sy privaat vliegtuig wou kom land! Daar is 'n enorme kruis aangebring wat aandui dat hy nie op hierdie aanloopbaan mag land nie. Volgens inwoners wat vliegtuie besit is die aanloopbaa nal vir verskeie jare nie oop vir besigheid nie. Die kruis dui aan dat as 'n vliegtuig hier sou probeer land en iets fout gaan, die versekerde vliegtuig se assuransie nie betaal sou word nie. Die versekering wat die Munisipaliteit betaal en die instandhouding is kastig te duur. Dit is tog die belastingbetaler wat moet besluit oor hierdie aangeleentheid en daar is glad nie aan die gemeenskap gevra hoe hulle oor die saak sou voel ni. 'n Operasionele lughawe is tog noodsaaklik vir 'n dorp van ons grootte en met die uitbreiding van kardinale belang! Intussen is die geelkruis op die aanloopbaan daar om vir vliegtuie wat hier wil land 'n aanduiding dat hier nie geland mag word nie!"
Last edited by J.a.N on Fri May 13, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”