Moderator: Moderators

Jaws
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 21 times

Dove DH.104-Crashed at Ixopo in january 1951 ZS-DDW

Unread post by Jaws » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:32 pm

Greetings all, please see below and be so kind as to reply if you have anything to offer re ZS-DDW. Kind regards Jaws.

Hi John,

I am trying to find more information about the above aircraft which left Margate in January 1951 and crashed due to turbulence near Ixopo.

According to my parents, we were holidaying in Margate at the time and I fell ill .

The cause of the illness could not be ascertained and the doctor suggested we return to Jiohannesburg by air.

My father booked on the Dove DH 104.

When he went in to pay for the tickets a few days before the flight ,he happened to mention that I was ill but that it was not diagnosable.

The airline office refused to let us fly, saying that there was a pregnant woman on board and it may harm the child if I was carrying an infectious disease.

We subsequently returned to Johannesburg by train and according to my father, when he opened the newspaper, the aircraft we had booked on had crashed, with no survivors!

I was only 6 at the time but will never forget how I screamed and performed when I was told we were going on the aircraft.

My question is whether you have any more information on this particular event besides that which is available on the link : www.flightsafety.org

Is it possible that there is a passenger manifest still available or any other information?

I would sincerely appreciate any help you can offer.

Kind regards,

Clive Bilski
John Austin-Williams
saamuseum.co.za
sdwicks
Been liked: 0

Re: Dove DH.104-Crashed at Ixopo in january 1951 ZS-DDW

Unread post by sdwicks » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:11 pm

I could only find a brief reference to it in Fields of Air Just said 12 people were lost and that SAA had two DH Doves
TONYB
Been liked: 0

Unread post by TONYB » Mon May 27, 2013 3:07 pm

Good afternoon from Rome /Italy

Regarding your query (ZS-DDW) may be you can go to www.air-accidents.com , year 1951 , and then PDF button.

Best rgds / Antonio
Ray W
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo
Has liked: 1249 times
Been liked: 424 times

Unread post by Ray W » Mon May 27, 2013 7:34 pm

sdwicks wrote:I could only find a brief reference to it in Fields of Air Just said 12 people were lost and that SAA had two DH Doves

ZS-DDW didn't belong to SAA - their Doves were ZS-BCB and BCC. BCC now lives in the museum at Rand. ZS-DDW belonged to a company called United Airways (owned by a Mr JD Herholdt) and broke up in flight 12-1-1951.

ZS-DDW was the 17th Dove to be built and was originally delivered to Central African Airways in Salisbury on 22/12/1947. She didn't stay on their fleet for long and was sold to Mt Herholdt in 1950. Some notes I have say that she suffered two wheels up landings while still with CAA but I can't verify this.
Old age & treachery will triumph over youth & skill

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”